What is TOGA (TO/GA)... yes I know, n00b question

What is TOGA, I hear people talking about it about engaging it on takeoff and on landings (sometimes), but what exactly is it?? I tried looking it up on google but to no avail...

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Gromit Trainee

Takeoff/Go Around

It's not a noob question, either. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Think of it in terms of a car, as shifting down, maintaining high RPM, lots of power, power to spare. Not surprisingly, you use TO/GA for.. take-offs and go arounds =p Situations where losing an engine could mean a crash. Thus, you push the engines to the maximum - for a short time. Crude explanation, I apologize, but I hope it helps.

Thanks everyone

So are you saying that it is a button that basically just pushes the engines to max, so it shares the same function with the F4 key in Flight Sim??

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yes

So in real world aviation... does the TO/GA button do any damage in the long run to the engines?? I mean if you have to press that button instead of yanking the throttles up by "the lever"

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I thought that TO/GA was part of the autothrottle. When enaged it sets the correct N1 for takeoff i.e. enough power to get airbourne but not more than is neccessary, to conserve both fuel, money and engine wear. Thats not neccessarily maximum power, it depends on the weight of the plane and other values. In first generation aircraft it was calcualted by the flight engineer, but nowadays its all automated. I might be wrong. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It won't do any damage to the engines, but it would if they operated at that power (above 100% N1) for lengthy periods. Throttles shouldn't be kept at above 95% for longer than a few minutes because it isn't good for them. It isn't dangerous to do so if you do it occasionally but it is bad practice 😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Operating the engines at maximum for long periods of time will damage them yes. TOGA does not necessarily run them at full power, it's not a throttle setting, it's rather a storage of dynamic energy in case it's needed. As I said, it's like running a car at a lower gear and higher power, not necessarily pushing the pedal to the metal, if you see what I mean.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...