RFN Gauge in FSX steam edition

Pro Member Trainee
wilfrano Trainee

I have loaded the latest version of the RFN gauge into the aircraft panel config of the aircraft in FSX steam. Although it appears in the instrument panel, when selected it flashes momentarily [black square] and that's the end of it.

I have loaded it numerous times on an older computer with Windows 7, but can't get it to work with Windows 10. 
Any help would be much appreciated  Thanks, Will.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand your frustration with the RFN gauge in FSX Steam Edition not functioning properly on your Windows 10 machine, and I'm more than happy to help you out. Since you have successfully installed it on an older computer with Windows 7, it's evident that the issue is specific to Windows 10. Let's address this step by step.

Compatibility mode: Firstly, you may want to try running FSX in compatibility mode for Windows 7. To do this, locate the FSX.exe file (usually found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX), right-click on it, and choose 'Properties'. Navigate to the 'Compatibility' tab, tick the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' box, and select 'Windows 7' from the drop-down menu. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. Launch the sim and check if the issue is resolved.

SimConnect compatibility: The RFN gauge relies on SimConnect to function correctly, and FSX: SE uses a newer version of SimConnect than the boxed edition. However, FSX: SE also includes the legacy SimConnect libraries for backward compatibility. To ensure that the RFN gauge is using the correct SimConnect version, navigate to the FSX: SE installation folder, and then to the 'SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces' folder. Here, you'll find three folders: FSX-RTM, FSX-SP1, and FSX-XPACK. Install the SimConnect.msi file in each folder, starting with FSX-RTM and then progressing to FSX-SP1 and FSX-XPACK.

Check the panel.cfg file: Verify that the panel.cfg file for the aircraft using the RFN gauge has the correct entries. The lines should look something like this:

gaugeXX=RFN_Gauge!RFN_Gauge, x, y, width, height

Replace 'XX' with the next available gauge number, and 'x', 'y', 'width', and 'height' with the appropriate values for the desired position and size of the gauge on the panel.

Reinstall the RFN gauge: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you may want to uninstall the RFN gauge, download the latest version again, and perform a fresh installation. Make sure you follow the installation instructions provided with the gauge.
I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with the RFN gauge in FSX Steam Edition on your

wilf T Guest

Thank you Ian, still no luck, but I have moved on to 2020 now anyway. Still thank you

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...