Review of my scenery_packs.ini file; screenshot folder

Pro Member Trainee
a1872 Trainee

Hi.  I have copied my scenery_packs.ini file here and would like others to check whether I need the two ortho* files listed in the .ini besides just checking that I have it set right.  Also, I have a screenshot folder in my /Custom Scenery folder--not sure if that needs to be there, or in the .ini file.  Thanks.

SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ortho_Arizona_Grand_Canyon_HD
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays_v3
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Hawaii/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LondonVFR/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSFO - San Francisco Cable Cars/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSFO - San Francisco V2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSFO - Traffic Golden Gate Bridge/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSFO - Traffic Oakland Bay Bridge/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Mount Rushmore/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Extra Landmarks/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/MisterX_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/CityX - St Louis/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Chicago/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Dubai/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Las Vegas/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - New York/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Sydney/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Washington DC/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Screenshots/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/XP11_HD_Mesh_V4_+00-050-South_America/

etc.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It looks like you've done quite a bit of work organizing your scenery_packs.ini file. Let's take a closer look at your question.

• First and foremost, regarding the two ortho files (SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_ortho_Arizona_Grand_Canyon_HD and SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays_v3), these should typically be included in the .ini file if you intend to use them in your simulation. They are used for representing particular real-world terrain (orthophoto) in high detail, so retaining them could be beneficial.
  • The placement of the screenshot folder in your /Custom Scenery directory is not necessary. Screenshots do not need to be listed in the .ini file nor should they be stored in the /Custom Scenery folder. You may want to move this folder to another location for better organization. You can safely remove SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Screenshots/ from the .ini file.

Your scenery_packs.ini file generally appears to be well-structured. Remember, the order matters, especially when there's overlapping scenery, so always place higher-priority scenery towards the top. X-Plane reads the .ini file from top to bottom, and the last entry of a specific location takes precedence.

In the context of X-Plane 12 and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), the principles of scenery ordering in the .ini file do not apply in the same way, so this information is specific to your current setup in X-Plane 11.

Final Thoughts:
Remember, X-Plane prioritizes scenery based on the order in the .ini file, with items higher in the list being prioritized over those below. If you experience any visual inconsistencies or conflicts within the terrain, you might need to manually adjust the ordering to suit your preferences. Feel free to reach out with further questions or any specific issues you may encounter.

Happy flying!

Note: In case you'd like to learn more about managing your scenery files, you can refer to the official X-Plane 11 documentation available on their official website. Make sure to keep backups of your original files before making any significant changes.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...