having problems with print screen for screen shot?

Pro Member Trainee
sterk03 Trainee

Windows 10 running FSX in the past have had no trouble geting a screenshot.  I have been using Mgrab.exe.  In the past just click on Print screenand I would hve a jpeg picture go to my folder called grabs.  Lately if I just hit print screen it wil take a grab but it is just a black screen. I need to hit both ALT + Print screen to get a picture. Is anyone else using Mcgrab where you only need to hit one button?  I uninstalled it and re-installed it but no change. It worked fine for many years and it still works on FS9.  Its a window function not FSX. Does anyone use any other windows fuction to get a screenshot wtih only one button?

Thanks in advance for any answers or info.

Sterk03

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Sterk03,

It seems like you've encountered an issue with using Mgrab.exe for capturing screenshots in FSX on Windows 10. I understand that it used to work well in the past with just the Print Screen button, and it's frustrating to see that it no longer functions as expected. Let's try to troubleshoot the problem and explore some alternative solutions.

1. First, I suggest running Mgrab.exe in compatibility mode. Right-click on the Mgrab.exe executable file, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for:. From the dropdown menu, select an older Windows version, such as Windows 7 or Windows XP, then click Apply and OK. This change might help restore the functionality of the Print Screen button for FSX screenshots.
  2. If the compatibility mode does not resolve the issue, consider using alternative screen capture tools that are natively built into Windows. The Snipping Tool or Snip & Sketch utility (available in newer Windows 10 updates) are excellent options that can capture screenshots without needing to press any additional keys. To launch the Snipping Tool, press the Windows key and type "Snipping Tool" in the search bar.
  3. Another option is using the keyboard shortcut Win + Alt + PrtScn to capture screenshots in windowed mode while running FSX. This command will save the screenshots directly to your "Videos\Captures" folder in your user directory.
  4. Lastly, you could try third-party screenshot applications such as Greenshot or ShareX. Both of these programs offer extensive features and customizable hotkeys, allowing you to take screenshots with just one button press.

I hope one of these suggestions resolves your issue or provides a suitable alternative to Mgrab.exe for capturing screenshots in FSX. Happy flying and happy screenshotting!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...