Removing unwanted airports/planes to save disk space

MottiMan Guest

Hi, I have a dedicated 500Gb disk for MFS2020, but it is getting full. How can I delete what I do not use/need to free up disk space? Why are we forced to download new scenery if we don't want it? Can you configure MFS2020 to continue saving on another disk? Thanks in advance.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there!

I understand your concern about managing disk space for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS2020). Let me address your questions one by one to provide a comprehensive solution.

1. Removing Unwanted Airports/Planes to Save Disk Space

To remove unwanted airports and planes, you can uninstall specific content from the Content Manager. Here's how you can do it:

• Launch MSFS2020.
  • Go to the main menu, and click on 'Profile'.
  • Select 'Content Manager'.
  • In the Content Manager, you will see a list of all installed content. Filter the list for aircraft or airports you wish to remove.
  • Select the items you want to remove and click on 'Delete' to uninstall them.

However, please note that some of the default content cannot be removed this way, as they are part of the base installation.

2. Forced Scenery Downloads

The reason why you are prompted to download new scenery packages is to ensure you have the latest updates and improvements. The simulator developers aim to provide the most realistic and accurate experience by updating the scenery data regularly. However, you can always choose to skip these updates, but it's recommended to keep them up to date for the best experience.

3. Configuring MSFS2020 to Save on Another Disk

Yes, you can configure MSFS2020 to save on another disk. To do this, you can create a symbolic link (symlink) that will redirect the data to another drive. Here's how to do it:

• First, make sure MSFS2020 is not running.
  • Move the MSFS2020 folder (usually located in the default installation path) to the new drive where you want the data to be saved.
  • Open the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
  • Execute the following command (replace the paths with the appropriate ones for your system):

mklink /D "C:\Original MSFS2020 Path" "X:\New MSFS2020 Path"

This command creates a symlink, redirecting the data from the original path to the new location on another drive.

I hope this helps you manage your disk space and enjoy MSFS2020 to the fullest. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Safe skies and happy flying!

MottiMan Guest

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive answers.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...