Building an Affordable FSX Cessna 172 R Skyhawk Simulator Setup

Jamal Bawadi Guest

Hi, What's the easiest way to build a FSX CESSNA 172 R SKYHAWK FLIGHT SIMULATOR WITH A FIXED INCOME? I'm looking to build one but I'm on a fixed income. I do have a ch yoke and pedals but I don't have the started key and the avionics for it. Can you please help me out? Thank You.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Building a Cessna 172 R Skyhawk flight simulator on a budget, especially when using FSX, is indeed a commendable project, and I'm here to help guide you through it.

1. Existing Hardware: It's excellent that you have a CH Yoke and pedals. These are vital components for creating an immersive flight experience.
  2. Starter Key & Avionics: If you're referring to the ignition key, there are some DIY methods using rotary encoders or potentiometers. However, these might require a bit of electronic know-how. For avionics, there are affordable software options like Panel Builder which can simulate a vast range of instruments. You can run it on the same computer as FSX or on a separate device.
  3. Use What You Have: Use your current PC monitor for the main view. Later on, if funds allow, you can consider expanding to a multi-monitor setup. For the avionic displays, old tablets or smartphones can be utilized. Apps like Air Manager can assist in turning them into functional instrument panels.
  4. Sim Enhancements on a Budget: There are free and affordable add-ons and plugins which can significantly enhance your FSX experience. Ensure you always respect copyright and licensing agreements when sourcing for these.
  5. Ergonomics and Setup: A simple table with adjustable heights can serve as your cockpit base. Ensure it's stable and spacious enough for your equipment. Depending on space, a used office chair can be adjusted to simulate the height and position of a Cessna seat.
  6. Consider Future Updates: It's worth noting that while FSX remains a classic, newer flight sim platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12 have surfaced, offering enhanced realism. Some of the methods and tools I've mentioned can be applied to these platforms too.

Before we dive deeper, could you provide more specifics on what you're aiming for in terms of realism and function? The clearer the picture you paint, the better the guidance I can provide. Remember, the flight sim community is here to support and assist. Once I have more details, I'll be better equipped to guide you further.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...