Troubleshooting Missing Entries in FSX Flight Log

Albert Arning Guest

I've been using FSX for 4 months now and there are no new entries in the flight log.  I typically fly 2 or 3 flights a day so the other features seem to be working ok.  Any suggestions for a fix on this?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Firstly, I'd like to express my understanding of your issue with FSX's flight log. It can be a bit disheartening to put in all that flying time and not see the records reflected in the log. From my knowledge, this is a known quirk with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, but there are various steps you can take to address it.

• 1. Backup & Check your Logbook File:
    Your flight log is stored in a file named "logbook.bin". It's essential to make a backup of this file before attempting any fixes. The default location is typically:
    C:\Users[YourUsername]\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

• 2. Corruption of the Logbook File:
    There have been instances where the "logbook.bin" gets corrupted.

• Backup your "logbook.bin" as mentioned above.
    • Delete the original (ensure you have the backup).
    • Restart FSX and undertake a flight. Once finished, check if a new log entry is made.
  • 3. Third-party Addons:
    Are you using any third-party addons? Sometimes these can interfere with FSX's normal operations. Consider:

• Temporarily disabling them.
    • Conducting a flight.
    • Checking if the log updates.
  • 4. User Permissions:
    FSX may not have the necessary permissions to write to the logbook.

• Right-click the FSX icon and choose Run as administrator.
    • Check if this resolves the issue.
  • 5. Alternative Logging Tools:
    If the in-game logbook continues to be problematic, you might consider external logging tools. While I won't link to specific tools here, a quick search will yield some top-rated options that many in the flight sim community have turned to when faced with similar issues.

Remember, if you decide to switch to Microsoft Flight Simulator (released in 2020) or X-Plane 12 in the future, these platforms have more robust and less error-prone logging systems. However, each sim comes with its own unique challenges and advantages.

If you could provide more specifics, such as any error messages or other behaviors you've observed, it might help pinpoint the issue further. Waiting for your details, and I'll be more than happy to dive deeper.

Safe flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...