FS2004 vs X-Plane

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I started flight sims with "Night Flight" by Hewson Consultants which ran on a 16k ZX81.

After various sim games on the ZX81, through Spectrum, C64, Amiga and then later the PC, I had something with Chuck Yeager's name attached to it. Then came the Microsoft flight sim versions.

The only other flight sim I touched since Flight Simulator 2 was launched was X-Plane. This stood above the Microsoft offering in the physics department giving magnificently realistic flight models. I think I started with demo versions of X-Plane 4.

When X-Plane 7 came out I bought the CD's from the 'States. 4CD's of scenery didn't even come close to the Microsoft offering of their default scenery but the physics still was head & shoulders above.

Well now X-Plane v8 has been out for a while ... *and I finally got the DVD today* and am installing it now 😀 It has photographic scenery for all of the US and generic for the rest of the world (previous versions didn't even have this and you could find yourself on a runway just a few hundred feet above the sea, no land or anything!!). Now it even has undulating runways!!!

Anyway, this new version promises to be even more incredibly realistic and looks fantastic. X-Plane also has FAA approval for training towards an airline transport certificate!

However Microsoft's might prevails and it is still the one everyone thinks of. I'm going to try X-Plane 8 and I think it'll not disappoint.

Have a look at some of the new features of v8 here; http://www.x-plane.com

Dave

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Thanks for the info 😀

Never heard of "X-Plane" before, though the screenshots look very good!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...