FAA speed regulations

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

Hey, i was just wondering the airspace airspeed limits in different altitudes..does anyone know??

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Don Wood Guest

Under 10,000 feet, FAA allows speeds no higher than 250 knots without specific clearance. The only situation I am aware of where they will clear a higher speed is military aircraft in special circumstances.

Don Wood's answer is correct, although in some class B airspace the limit is 200kts within 10 miles of the arpt involved.

Don Wood Guest

For the Guest who posted re the 200 Kt limitation within 10 miles of an airport, is there something published by FAA with this restriction or is it a restriction issued on the spot by ATC?

I am not aware of any published speed restrictions other than the 250 KT but ATC always has the ability to issue clearances for lower speeds if needed for separation or flow. The PIC is obligated to observe such a clearance unless it would effect the safety of his/her aircraft and then the pilot would need to negotiate a different speed clearance with ATC. I suppose they could also issue a NOTAM with the restriction if they wanted to make it a general restriction at an airport but I have never seen one like that.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

USA- There are also speed limits for aircraft holding but this depends on altitudes and whether prop or turbo jet. Within an airport traffic area 4.34nm radius of an airport ground level to 3000ft AC speed should not exceed 156kts for a prop and 200kts for a turbine powered ac. This comes from Aerad flight supplement but it is usually an accurate guide. The latter ruling is news to me......will have to slow down in future or do wider circuits to stay out of the zone!

The guest who spoke of the 200kts limit was me Leadfoot, my account is screwed up again, whoever runs this forum take notice. I may very well be in error about the scope of the 200kt. limit. I know a 200kt. limit exists. PH's answer about the 200kt limit is the more accurate info.

Speaking of another FAA regulation, i was taking an airline transport lesson in FS and rod told me that the FAA requires you to have your landing lights on when below 10,000 feet. Is this just a regulation for airliners or does that included airplanes like the 172.

Don Wood Guest

I am not aware of any requirement to have landing lights lit below 10,000 feet (or at any other altitude). I just checked the current Federal Air Regulations for the USA and did not find such a requirement.

There are requirements that aircraft flown at night be equipped with a functional landing lights and also that aircraft flown VFR On-Top also be so equipped but none I could find that they be lit at any given time. In fact, one of the proficiencies real world pilots must show is the ability to land on a lighted runway without the use of landing lights.

Having said all that, I think it is good practice to have landing lights lit during both day and night operations, especially during the climb and descent phases of flight. It makes "see and avoid" a much more viable concept.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Interesting one....not sure if it is a regulation or simply a SOP that most if not all airlines use. In any case it is certainly good airmanship.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...