Problems with ILS approach

Pro Member Trainee
reynoa00 Trainee

I've been flying a 737 into Amsterdam Schipol - all fine and dandy. Got eveyrthing working well, but the APR swtich on ILS lands me about 200 yds short of the runway (in a canal!). What's going on? Am I doing something stupid (almost certainly!) Embarassed

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
BashDaBish Guest

Maybe forgetting to switch the GPS back to NAV?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,

One of the problems you might be having is that you are engaging the APP button too quickly. Wait unitl ATC have established you and then engage it.

Secondly, make sure you have entered the right frequencies etc and like it was said above, make sure the GPS/NAV toggle button is on NAV.

If you: Have the right frequencies entered into NAV1 or NAV2
Have the GPS/NAV switch toggled to NAV
Hear the morse code identifier
Have the ILS display up on the HSI
Have been established by ATC...
Then all should be fine! Hope that helps. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

One more thing, are you coming in too slow maybe?

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

One other possibility is an error in the sim itself, I know of at least two ILS's that are not correct. The one I'm most familiar with is at KCMH Columbus International in Ohio. If you follow the ILS to rnwy 28L you will end up landing to the right of the rnwy in the grass. The localiser is not right. It is possible that there is an error in the glidslope of the rnwy in question in your situation.

spuddi Guest

which runway at schipol maybe we could give it a try?

Pro Member Trainee
reynoa00 Trainee

Thanks for all help. NAV is definately switched over, freq is OK and the ATC have released me - I am approaching at 2,000 feet so should not be over the glide path (runway 1L). I know the APR is switched in because it has me lined up beautifully and descending gently - it's just like the ground is a few hundred feet higher than the computer thinks.

I have tried a descent into Heathrow and the same happens! Now I am thinking it may be my plane - an A319 from this site. I have tried it in a 737 and it is okay. Does this mean I have a duff A319?

Thanks for all prompt replies.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes, In that case, it is more than likely the plane. Does not sound like you are doing anything wrong, you are coming in more than low enough to capture the GS. I think it was in Fuertaventura (however you spell it) in the Canary Islands and there is a small area of high elavation before the runway which I crashed into i.e. a fault of the sim, the fact that it happens at Heathrow probably means it is the plane if you are doing everything correct as I land frequently using ILS at Heathrow without a problem. Hope it goes well!

spuddi Guest

check with the ATIS that the QNH (baro) setting is correct. otherwise the altitude will be all screwy. I wouldn't have thought it would affect the ILS glidescope as its following a beam, but its worth a try as the aircraft that you downloaded might be programmed to need the correct QNH.

captain75 Guest

Hi People,

I have just bought FS2002. However, i cant find the codes for ILS data for anywhere. FS98 used to give them to you when you contact ATIS. What am i doing wrong.

Can someone help

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well in FS04 you go to Map and make sure you have the ILS frequency feathers activated at the top, so they appear as green feathers. Then double click on the airport with the feathers on there should be the list of elevation, ILS Courses and Frequencies etc. Hope it helps. 🙂

99jolegg wrote:

Well in FS04 you go to Map and make sure you have the ILS frequency feathers activated at the top, so they appear as green feathers. Then double click on the airport with the feathers on there should be the list of elevation, ILS Courses and Frequencies etc. Hope it helps. 🙂

I'll give it a try. Thanks mate 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

No problem 😀

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

I have had the same problem when flying a new type. I find that I have a habit of throttleing back to iddol to soon. Try to keep power up for another second or two before comming back to iddol.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...