Help with Settings FS 2004

Pro Member Trainee
alanj7 Trainee

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have very little knowlege of the many things that make up this site and about FS in general.

I have FS2004 Century of Flight and before I changed my video card it seemed my graphics and everything was ok ( I am just "playing" at this point---not trying to grab at a high learning curve). After installing an Nvidia Geforce4 MMX440 agp8x card I'm trying to figure out the best settings and also trying to get rid of cloud distortion that happens all the time, especially as I'm in the pilots seat looking out. I've fiddled with the settings a little, but I don't know how far to take it. I don't know what my limitations are right now.
Can somebody give me an idea of where to start? Also, I have no clue as to the many add-ons i can download. You can assume I have a pretty fast chip and plenty of memory, so that shouldn't be an issue ( outside of an older model monitor ( Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 70 ).

Thanks for any help in making some adjustments to my settings.
Alan Johnston

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

What you can do is max out the slides (to the right) on scenery and autogen. Keep them fairly low on clouds, shadows can be off if you like, check and see if you want them on or off, they use "power".
Traffic also uses power so set it as you like.

As far as add-ons, most won't use any or very little power therefore having little effect on your FPS which you can set at 27-30.
By add on, I'm talking USA Roads, a traffic (I use Ultimate Traffic).
You can add as many aircraft to your folder as you like, it won't slow the sim, all it will do is slow the initial loading of the sim, a minute longer.

If you have any questions (and you will) please ask away!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
alanj7 Trainee

Thanks a million. That's enough info to put me where I want to be for now. I'll have more questions, but I'll work with these issues now.
Thanks again,
Al

Pro Member Trainee
alanj7 Trainee

Hi,
I tried thjose settings you suggested and it seems to work pretty good. But the only thing is the display gets all scrambled up when I am in the "pilot view" window. Everything is fine in all other views. I've cut "clouds" down and tried simple clouds etc. But I can't seem to shake that one problem. I installed FS right from the CD and have not updated anything. Could that be possiblr the problem?
Thanks
Al

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Updating is a mixed bag, sometimes it helps some times it doesn't.
Do you have the ATC window on, or the 2 lines of red statistics (Shift+Z). They could interfere.

If not try turning off one of your FPS draining slides like scenery, or traffic and see if most of your cards power is going to them.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...