FS 2004 won't run

chrisparr Guest

Hi All,

I've spent a few days at this now and I give up (hence my post).

My machine meets all the minimum requirements and I have version 9c of direct X. I have run all the diagnostics suggested by the trouble shooting.

I have installed it many times as well as installing the Microsoft patch. I have tried the Express install and the custom/full install. Theonly install I have not tried is the minimum install.

After insallation has completed, I get a menu. If I then choose to run it (either by clicking run, or going to the setup menu and then run), the menu goes away, I get an egg timer on the cursor for a few seconds and then nothing!

If a double click onthe icon, I get the egg timer for a few seconds and then nothing!

I have checked the task manager directly after an execute attempt and there are no applications or processes that I can see related to the flight sim.

What could be wrong 😕 😞 Crying or Very sad

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I am trying to run it on a laptop, but as I said above, it meets all the requirements and I've had other flight simulators running on it (FS95 & 98, and flight gear (I think that's the name, the free one you can get)).

Has anyone out there had this problem and can help me out??

Thanks in advance

Chris Parr

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Do u have FS2004 installed at the past and uninstall it?If yes try to clean up the old registries of it.

START/RUN and the u write ''regedit'' then u click EDIT/FIND and put ''fs''
every time it finds something delete it and start new search.At the end when all registries are clean u will see a msg the tells that ur clean.(of course i hope ur using windows xp)

I m not sure that this could helps but try it.In case u have not install FS2004 before do it in case of the others FS registries.

Before ur going to start this procedure unistall ur FS and then start cleaning.

I m sure that u have check very carefull u pc specifiacations but if u like u can share it with us just in case u missed something.

Friendly 😉

Greekman72.

chrisparr Guest

Thanks for the reply.

I have the following:

Athlon running at 1.66GHz (according to the system panel)
240Mb ram
16mb ATI 3D Graphics (I've ran the diagnostics and it is fine)
Ample hard disk space
Windows XP professional.

Not a top gaming spec I admit, but it is more than the box says I require.

I will uninstall, clean the registry as you suggested and then install again.

I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks again

Chris

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ok

Let me know about it. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

The only comment i have is that u r low on the ram levels.Systems and vgas.

Anyway let me know about it.

spuddi Guest

I think that the graphics card is too small. I know it says on the box that its in spec but even if you can get the thing to boot the thing will grind to a halt even with the scenery all turned down low.

chrisparr Guest

Hi,

Uninstalled and cleaned up the registry.

With a new installation the same thing happens (nothing).

I take the point about the graphics, but I would at least expect the app to boot up and show me the initial menu.

I'm really stumped.

Chris

chrisparr Guest

PS

I even tried the safe mode option from the start menu and the same happens (nothing)

😞

spuddi Guest

when it is loaded on are you getting anything in the My Documents directory?

have you got a friends machine you could try it on to see if the CD's are working?

chrisparr Guest

Hi,

No, the flight sim folder is not created in My Documents.

I am also trying to think of a friend with a machine good enough to run it.

I've took a look at the files that are installed and there is a file called EBUSetup.sem that is 0 bytes in length that is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

Can anyone look at that file on their machine? Perhaps it wasn't copied correctly and it is preventing the game from running. A long shot I know but I'm grasping at straws.

Also, I've taken a look at the microsoft support site and there is only an FAQ. If I want to contact microsoft about the game it seems I have to buy a support package. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong place. If I have can anyone point me to the correct support place so I can at least email microsoft.

Thanks in advance

Chris

spuddi Guest

I'm on my work pc, so I can't be sure but I am sure that there also needs to be a directory in you my documents called something like > My simulator files. (i think it is where yor saved flights are held).

someone else should be able to answer this. or I will take a look tonight.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Sometimes VGAs cant even bootup the games.Try to lower the recourrces that run in start up to ur laptop(antivirus etc.)and check if FS can bootup.I have not a lot of hopes to it but try it.

I dont think that ur cds has problems cause i think that u couldnt install it.

And a stupid question.Did u put the first cd in order to start ur game???

We remain to ur answers.

Greekman72 🙂

chrisparr Guest

No, the flight sim folder is not created in My Documents.

Sorry, I meant to say the flight sim folder(s) have not been created in My Documents. I read on another forum that they are created (if not already there) when you start the game up. The fact that I don't have them shows that startup of the sim didn't even get that far 😞

Chris

[quote="Greekman72"]Sometimes VGAs cant even bootup the games.Try to lower the recourrces that run in start up to ur laptop(antivirus etc.)and check if FS can bootup.I have not a lot of hopes to it but try it.
[quote]

I have as little running as possible when attempting to start the sim, just a firewall running and an internet connection.

I have tried to start the sim by clicking on the icon with CD 4 in the drive and also by putting in the first CD and clicking Run.

Clicking on the icon does nothing other that change the cursor to an egg timer for a few seconds, putting in CD 1 and pressing run flashes up the Starting Microsoft Flight Simulator dialogue for a split second and then nothing (would have stated that dialogue in an earlier post, but this is the first time it was on the screen long enough for me to read it).

My only other thought is that one of the files wasn't copied properly. I can only wonder about that 0 byte file in the main directory.

Thanks

Chris

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

All the information you have received so far is right on.
Your running a computer that we have found to be less than ample. MS does list less but that is under ideal conditions, no omes computer is under ideal conditions.

Your card and ram are a problem.

Use this to free up the little ram you have that isn't being used by XP (128mb).

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Henning+Schaefer&CatID=root&Go=Search&Cookie=1

You need to uninstall the software in the control panel, all of it, do a search.
Clean up your registry with this, use ONLY novice mode. RegVac http://www.superwin.com/regvac.htm

Reinstall and you must have a folder in "MY Documents" "Flight Simulator Files" or it won't fly.

You should put the sim on your main "C" drive.

Let us know how you do.

Radar

chrisparr Guest

Thank's for the tips.

I will follow the links and give it a shot.

If I can get to the startup menu I will be happy. If the sim won't run after that then I know it's my card.

Anyway I'll post an update.

Cheers

Chris

PS I'm posting as a guest at the moment, but If I can get the dam thing running I'll happily pay the fee as this seems to be the best forum on the subject out there.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Try to make it run in order to join our company. 😉

I've tried everything RadarMan suggested but with no results.

When I try to start the sim the Flight Simulator Files folder is not created by the sim. I even tried creating it myself but that didn't work either (a long shot).

I have to hold my hands up and admit defeat I guess.

If miffs me a bit as my computer meets the requirements stated on the box (and then some), but the software won't work. I bought the sim from amazon.co.uk and I'm not even sure if I am entitled to my money back as returns on opened software are a bit or a grey area.

I guess I'll write to microsoft and ask for my money back, but I doubt I'll get any where.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Thanks guys for all your suggestionsand help. I guess I'll install FS98 and see if I can learn to use that.

Thanks again

Chris

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Hey Chris before u do all of them just try to install it to a friends pc.Just in case.

Greekman72

chrisparr Guest

I will look for another machine to try it on (I may sneak to work early and try there).

I've also submitted a report to microsoft.

I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks again for all your tips.

Regards

Chris

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's bad news.

You are loading it on your main drive "C" right?

Radar

chrisparr Guest

yeah,on the C drive.

I should get a reply from microsoft on Monday.

Cheers

Chris

chrisparr Guest

Microsoft sent me a second set of disks but the result was the same.

Installed it on my PC at work and it booted up fine.

I've sent the disks back and they are sending me a refund.

Oh well, back to FS98

C

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...