Installation Problems (FS Combat Sim 3)

Plus24 Guest

Help! I just purchased a new computer with AMD Athlon 64 3700 2.4 ghz cpu, 2 gb of Ram, 160 gb hard drive, 6800 GT pci express video card & windows XP professional full version w/service pack 2.0)

It runs MS Flightsim 2004 just fine. It also runs all my other software (principally MS Office Professional) without a hitch.

I installed MS Combat FS3 on it without any problems. The icon is on the desktop and the CD is in the drive. I click on the icon and it takes me to the game movie clip where the pilot finds himself in enemy territory, strikes a match, etc. The whole clip plays fine.

When the movie clip is over I have a black screen and the mouse is locked up. The whole computer is locked up and I have to turn the computer off and on again to get back to the desktop. Even a cntrl-alt-del won't work to get me out of the lock-up.

Any ideas about what my problem is? Thanks.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Download and install the latest DirectX 9.0c, it may have become corrupted.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/default.aspx
Also update your video card drivers to the newest ones, the ones they give you with the card are usually very old.
Clean out the old ones, nice setup!
http://www.drivercleaner.net/
Let us know how you do.

Radar

Plus24 Guest

RadarMan,

Thanks for your response. I downloaded the latest version of MS Direct X 9.0c. (Thanks for the link).

I went to MSI, the manufacturer of my video card, to download the latest drivers but was confused about which ones to download. There are so many options and they were not listed according to the name of the cards.

My video card is MSI NX6800GT-T2D246E, PCI-Express x16, 6800 GT, 256 bit 256 MB Gddr3, SLI Ready, Dual DVI & TV-out.

Sorry, I don't know how to make the address a hyperlink for you. A quick lesson on how to create a hyperlink on discussion boards would be appreciated.

Any help you can give me on which drivers to download would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Plus24 Guest

Returning to the forum, I saw that the web address I entered was automatically hyperlinked for me. So, I don't guess I need a lesson on creating hyperlinks, at least not for this forum.

Plus24

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've always used ATI, the second one looks more like the driver you can use to me. Your choice.

NVIDIA VGA Driver 71.50 for Win XP/2000

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_78.01.html

Radar

koplus24 Guest

RadarMan,

I'm still somewhat confused. In order to remain compatible with my workplace and all earlier software, I chose not to use XP 64 with my Athlon 64 CPU. I chose instead to use regular Windows XP Professional. So, I'm reluctant to install the drivers you recommend, as they are for the Windows XP 64 version. I should have made that clear from the outset. It's understandable that you would assume I would use Windows XP 64 with a cpu that was 64 bit compatible.

So now, do you you have suggestions for which driver4 to download?

I tried to run FS Combat 3 after downloading DirectX 9.0c driver. It took me past the initial video of the pilot who was lost to the screen where I can click on options. However, any option I chose would lock me up. Once I got a locked screen with machine gun fire that continuted until I turned the computer off. I never got a message about a locked up program from MS Windows. Just a locked up screen that wouldn't go away until I turned off the computer.

Plus24

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Who am I talking to, you changed your name.
Anyway, my bad Embarassed , sorry, good catch. I didn't go back to the top to read your system again.
Habit, I have to remember now that we have 64 bit systems, I hope they use it on the next version of the flight sim.

See if this does it for you.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_78.01.html

This is how you get NVIDIA drivers, just click on the first box and the second will change etc etc.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Radar

Plus24 Guest

Sorry, RadarMan. KOPlus24 is the same as Plus24. When setting up an email account years ago, Plus24 was already taken so I had to make it KOPlus24 to open the account. I still go by the Plus24 handle, however.

I've been busy this past week dealing with Katrina hurricane victims. I'm in Houston, not New Orleans. I've been helping several families (38 people in all) get settled and trying to cut through the governmental red tape for them. This weekend will also be full for me. I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know I read your messages and will try them out as soon as I have time. I'll get back with you after I've tried them to let you know how your advice worked. Thanks for all your help.

Plus24

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's a good deed your doing, I wish both you and your "families" the best of luck.

Take care and we'll see you back when your ready, real life has priority.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...