DHC6-300 Twin Otter PITCH PROBLEM

cheekytrolly Guest

I downloaded the DHC6-300 Twin Otter (the fs2004) and it runs fine apart from the REALLY REALLY REALLY steep take off.

Why on eath does it do that- none of my other planes do!

Can some one help me please?

Is there something I can edit in the aircract.cfg file?

Thanks so much in advance

Andrew Underwood

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

I downloaded the DHC6-300 Twin Otter (the fs2004) and it runs fine apart from the REALLY REALLY REALLY steep take off.

Why on eath does it do that- none of my other planes do!

Can some one help me please?

Is there something I can edit in the aircract.cfg file?

Thanks so much in advance

Andrew Underwood

When you say ...REALLY REALLY REALLY steep take off - I don't think you should be taking off THAT steep. Any a/c has limits to the way it performs.

If every aircraft behaved and reacted in the same way, you'd soon get bored

Juggle Poke in Eye Tee Hee Yawn Sleep

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Try trimming it down a bit before takeoff. If that doesn't do the trick, look for another model of the plane.

cheekytrolly Guest

Hi again
This is the second modle of the globe twotter. The one im using now is an update. I will try the trim before takeoff. I cant belive Im the only person with this problem 😕
Thanks for your help anyways!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I cant belive Im the only person with this problem

Do you know how many freeware Twotters there are?

Unless you reveal the source and the exact filename of your Twotter you are indeed the only person with this problem. - How so?
There are some clever cats around here but I haven't come across a clairvoyant one yet Idea

The name of the actual aircarft is 'FS2004 Project GlobeTwotter DHC6-300 Twin Otter' and the zip name is 'd6skyb42.zip'

I think 99% of the the twin otters for flight sim that I have come across are the Project GlobeTwotter's

Hope this helps-

Thanks
Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

'd6skyb42.zip' is the base for most of them as the "Guest" has said.

Get it here:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/606/fs2004-project-globe-twotter-dhc6-300-scilly-skybus-g-cbml/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I just installed d6skyb42.zip and took her for a spin - and spin she does!!! - I think the authors were trying to emulate the STOL characteristics of the Twotter - good idea - but this seems a bit too much, I agree with you. You can take off safely by putting pressure on your stick as soon as your airborne and once you've reached your desired altitude start trimming (a lot) and you'll stay afloat quite nicely.
On my second attempt I trimmed down (quite a bit) as suggested by CrashGordon but the flight characteristics still seem unrealistic to me at take off.
I found this in the ReadMe_First : Use of Elevator down trim is recommended in FS2004 FS2002 Trim seems normal.

If this is indeed an update, then I assume that the a/c was originally designed for FS2002 and therefore the flightdynamics aren't as polished as they could be. Either that, or I just haven't yet spend enough time to learn how to fly this thing.
For the sake of political correctness: I wouldn't dare to criticize the authors of this beautiful package but I have come across oversights of this kind before - and not only once.

If you want to try your hand at editing the aircraft.cfg file I would go straight to the [flight_tuning] section - don't forget to backup the original.

If all this gets too frustrating, relax and read an interesting article on the Twotter ➡ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Otter

If you manage to figure out the desired adjustments, I'd like to know how you did it 🤔 If nothing works out, try the avsim link I gave you yesterday.. let us know how you're gtting on 😉

Last edited by Tailhook on Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

'd6skyb42.zip' is the base for most of them as the "Guest" has said.

Radarman are you suggesting we don't have the complete package? This: "...and will automatically update the Original d6skybus file by Premier Aircraft Design." and "This file supersedes all other skybus files" from the file description is confusing at best.
Inside the file d6skyb42.zip I couldn't find any hint that anything else was needed. Read

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you load the base, in this case d6skyb42.zip, you then add the many paints that have been made for it over time.

Did you try the "flames" from the right engine. I have a screenshot of it somewhere in the gallery.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

All right, I was flying the right thing then. We might have to employ you as a flight instructor as well Fear

I'm gonna go back and try those "flames" if I can find them. I've never seen any a/c on fire in the screenshot gallery Devil I'll keep an eye out for yours though 😳 😀

cheekytrollyGuest Guest

Thanks for all your help- I'm glad in not the only person with this problem, its such a great aircraft and I wanna sort it out!

as the "Guest" has said

That Guest was me, if you hadn't already figured it out. I forgot to write in my username, sorry!

I've never seen any a/c on fire

Well I took a screenshot of the Twotter on fire for ya (although it doesn’t do it justice)

If you want to try your hand at editing the aircraft.cfg file I would go straight to the [flight_tuning] section

Hmmm, I've never done this before so I wouldn’t know where to start. As the default Cessna grand caravan is of simular shape and size, would it be possible to copy over its flight dynamics to the twotter cfg? And if it is, could someone please tell me how to do it???

Cheers for all your help everyone 😀 ,
Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hmmm, I've never done this before so I wouldn’t know where to start. As the default Cessna grand caravan is of simular shape and size, would it be possible to copy over its flight dynamics to the twotter cfg? And if it is, could someone please tell me how to do it???

I have no experience with editing the flight dynamics as such. My suggestion was based on what I would try if I went down that road.
Whether data from the Caravan copied to the Twotter cfg will work - there's no harm in trying BUT make sure you backup the original cfg first.

After you've backed up your cfg, your next step would be to delete the [flight_tuning] section of the Twotter cfg and then copy/paste the [flight_tuning] section of the Caravan to where you've just deleted data in the Twotter cfg.

Take her for a spin and see what happens. If it's no good, just get rid of the cfg you've been messing with and replace it with the original one from your previous back up.

Good luck 🙂

If you succeed, it's time for you teach us a trick Idea

Thanks for the screenie... looks pretty wild 😳

copy/paste the [flight_tuning] section of the Caravan to where you've just deleted data in the Twotter cfg. Take her for a spin and see what happens

I'm afraid it didn't work! What a shame, the aircraft certainly looks the part. I just wish it was easier to handle, it's still taking off real steep. Thanks for all your input everyone, please post a soloution to proplem if you know how!

Cheers,
Andrew

Pro Member Trainee
bunger Trainee

I find it takes a lot of pitch control to bring it level.
Look at the fitch wheel nera the throttles. The settings are marked and when you have the aircraft trimed look at the setting and go from there.
Take off with 10 degrees of flap.
Hope this helpes

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

copy/paste the [flight_tuning] section of the Caravan to where you've just deleted data in the Twotter cfg. Take her for a spin and see what happens

I'm afraid it didn't work! What a shame, the aircraft certainly looks the part. I just wish it was easier to handle, it's still taking off real steep. Thanks for all your input everyone, please post a soloution to proplem if you know how!

Well, better late than never. I finally found the little tutorial I had been looking for buried deep within my archives. Whether this will be a solution to the problem or not, I don't know. I've only just scanned through the pdf - the author doesn't claim that it's comprehensive, but it does look like a good starting point.

File Description:
This pdf file is for people who want to learn, or learn more, about updating the flight dynamics of FS2004 aircraft. It won't tell you everything, but it will tell you some things the majority of flight simmers don't know about updating flight dynamics.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2832/fs2004-fsx-flight-dynamics-tutorial/

If you manage to solve the problem or the tut. manages to lead you to any unexpected discoveries - share them with us. Idea

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hiya Tailhook,

I download the document you kindly linked for me and had a read though it. It was talking about editing the .air file not the .cfg file and you need to download another program to decode the .air file! The stuff talked about in the file was way above my head- so if someone else with more experience knows how to fix our proplem- please post a simpler soultion here.

Cheers

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I'VE FIXED IT!

All you have to do is copy the c208B .air file and rename it to "DHC6W_24.air" then send it to the twotter main folder and paste it there, over righting the old .air file!

Proplem sorted 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...