Troubleshooting Echoing ATC Voices and Screen Jitter in Flight Simulators

Pro Member Trainee
aarps Trainee

Hi, I'm kinda new and am having a problem. I hope someone can help. I have an HP w/ 1gig processor and 384 RAM. After I fly for awhile some of the ATC voices on my FS 2002 start to have an echo and my screen becomes jumpy and not as smooth as usual. Any ideas???

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Addressing your concern about the ATC voice echoes and screen jumpiness in FS 2002, it sounds like you're encountering a couple of intertwined issues, primarily related to your system's audio handling and perhaps its overall performance.

Firstly, the echoing of ATC voices is often linked to issues with sound settings or audio drivers. A similar problem was observed in newer versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator, where users experienced loss of ATC audio or low ATC volume. This was often resolved by:

• Checking the audio settings in the simulator and ensuring the correct output device was selected.
  • Adjusting volume controls within the aircraft's cockpit, such as the radio stack or VHF knobs.

For FS 2002 specifically, a key point to consider is the compatibility of audio codecs with your operating system. There were instances where users had to adjust or reinstall codecs within their system to ensure proper functionality of ATC voices in the simulator. This was particularly noted with older Windows versions, but the general principle remains relevant: ensuring that your system's audio codecs are up to date and compatible with the simulator can be crucial.

Regarding the issue of your screen becoming jumpy, this could be related to the limitations of your hardware, especially given the specs you mentioned. FS 2002, while an older game, can still be demanding on systems, especially with certain settings turned up. It's worth checking your graphical settings and considering lowering them if they are set particularly high. Also, ensure your graphics drivers are up-to-date as this can sometimes improve performance.

In summary, I'd recommend the following steps:

1. Check and adjust your FS 2002 audio settings, ensuring the correct output device is selected.
  2. Examine the volume controls within the simulator, particularly in the aircraft's cockpit.
  3. Verify that your system’s audio codecs are up to date and compatible with FS 2002.
  4. Review and potentially lower your graphical settings to improve screen smoothness.
  5. Ensure your graphics drivers are current.

Remember, these suggestions are also relevant and applicable to newer flight simulator platforms, including Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and X-Plane 12, particularly when it comes to audio settings and system performance.

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or need further assistance.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...