Vr speed and take off Boeing 737

Excelsis Guest

OK, here's the deal. I am obeying the instructions in the accompanying Flight Notes for the Boeing 737 take-off. They tell me that Vr is at 153 KIAS and that I HAVE TO HOLD 160 KIAS ( V2) until I get a positive rate of climb.

When you are hurtling along the runway and the speed dial is whizzing round, how on earth do you then hold a speed of 160 KIAS while pitching up at only 10 degrees?

I just can't figure this out and it's driving me nuts. Is it because I am still maxing 100 N1 when I rotate? Should I have reduced that already by the time I take-off, say, to 70 N1? And, if so, how long then do I actually have to hold maximum thrust when taking off?

The notes don't tell me to reduce thrust at all after Vr. Is that incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any guidance in this.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Once TO thrust is set you do not play with it until at earliest acceleration altitude. Roate at 153 if that is correct and pitch up to whatever attitude gives you V2 10 degrees is too shallow. Most jets will require 15-18 degrees.

Excelsis Guest

PH wrote:

Once TO thrust is set you do not play with it until at earliest acceleration altitude. Roate at 153 if that is correct and pitch up to whatever attitude gives you V2 10 degrees is too shallow. Most jets will require 15-18 degrees.

Thank you for this information! - although it still is an effort to keep full thrust and maintain 160 A/S without stalling (I have to pitch up to nearly 20 degrees while climbing).

I am more than a little annoyed though with the Flight Notes in the Learning Centre. It is not the first time that I have discovered that the text has been wildly inaccurate if not downright misleading. You would have thought an editor at MS would have checked all this technical information before publishing it...

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

Excelsis, check these simple formulas for V1, Vr and V2.
Normal pitch is between 8 and 20 deg.
737-300/400/500
737-600/700/800/900/BBJ

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...