Landing Speed; Learjet 45

Pro Member Trainee
Saabotr Trainee

Hi. Do any of you know the proper landing speed for the Learjet? I have no problem establishing ILS, getting lined up.... However, I do have a problem with the correct speed relative to my glide path. I have landed successfully numerous times, but not consistently. Most of the time, it seems that I have to speed up on final approach, then I am too fast, etc, etc. Embarassed

I am wondering if any of you know the speed that I should aim for on final... Thank you! 🙂

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This help?

(dead link removed)

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Saabotr wrote:

Hi. Do any of you know the proper landing speed for the Learjet?

Using the kneeboard data within Flight Simulator, I've constructed this chart:

Vref
13,200 lbs-102 KIAS
14,200-----105
15,200-----108
16,200-----111
17,200-----114
18,200-----117
19,200-----120
20,200-----123

Pro Member Trainee
Saabotr Trainee

I'll give it a try. Will advise...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Saabotr wrote:

I'll give it a try. Will advise...

I compiled the speeds from MS data within FS9, they seem slow to me. You may want to add about 10 knots to each speed. 🙂

lemonwonder Guest

If FSX is supa-realistic, (i havent played yet.... gettin new video card) you could go pretty fast, and just before you hit ground set ur engine on reverse, the hard part is keeping ur plane steady and not flipping back, this should reduce the speed, and once you get the hang of stabalising it should be pretty ezy. (Do the engines have reverse)

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

In reality most engines can't even enter reverse mode so to speak until the aircraft is on the ground. Your approach while unique doesn't seem to be "supa realistic" so to speak 🙂

For realistic, keep Vref +5 or so, trim properly, idle, flare and reverse after touchdown.

lemonwonder Guest

planes wit 2 motors on each wing often turn oFf the 2 outer ones early, then turn off inner ones and use outers to slow the plane dramatically

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Want to post an example?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

lemonwonder wrote:

planes wit 2 motors on each wing often turn oFf the 2 outer ones early, then turn off inner ones and use outers to slow the plane dramatically

No, that's non sense. I've heard of the US Navy P-3 Orion shutting down two engines in flight during a combat patrol(cuts fuel consumption by half and speed is not needed) but the idea that a four engine aircraft would shut down two engines to slow is crazy.

lemonwonder Guest

I was on psp when I posted I will do detail. The rarotonga airport, very dangerous for a boeing 747-800 but one was landed in the cyclone period. They had to start the two middle engines on reverse, very slowly, and then turn them off. The outer two would be turned off not far from landing. The plane then glides down, starts the two outer engines on blasting back, keep the nose down and zwoom.... there we go! I have been on this flight, I asked the hostess why it felt different from the other landings, and she told me why.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

No, you are missing something. N0 747 driver is going to land a 747 without engine power unless they have no choice. Jet engines won't go into reverse while airborne. There would be no reason to rig one to do it and would never be done with passengers. Give any links and or web pages to support your claim, I would be very interested in reading it.

What airline, location and type of aircraft? The first flight of the Boeing 747-800 is scheduled for 2008.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

lemonwonder wrote:

I asked the hostess why it felt different from the other landings, and she told me why.

Could the hostess possibly be confused by the difference between idle thrust and actually shutting down a powerplant?

It still sounds weird to me, and as others have said, the reversers can't deploy in flight.

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

Lemonwonder: Although your meager attempts of explaining things is meant to be good. Could you please refrain from posting unintelligent answers because it is quite obvious that you don't know anything about this subject .

lemonwonder Guest

Excuse me? Are you saying that I am lieing? I got this information directly from the air hostess! I have gone to Rarotonga many times, and one time when the plane was dropping in, people were leaving because of the cyclone season, they couldnt fit them in a smaller plane. I got this info direct from the air hostess, not from my brother who has a friend that has an aunt that has a friend that has a friend that has a daughter which knows someone that is an air hostess, I got it directly from the air hostess.

CarlBoy Guest

Maybe you should get the info from the PILOT, as the crew that caters to you are not trained to fly and might not know much about it.

lemonwonder Guest

Yeh, thats prolly a better idea.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

lemonwonder wrote:

Yeh, thats prolly a better idea.

It is, yes. Note that it seems unlikely your hostess was "lying" to you as such. Often, though, information gets passed around and, like that game of "chinese whispers" we all played as kids, is totally garbled by the time it reaches the passenger.

An example might be that the pilot says "Runway conditions are CATIII and we're not certified. We need to divert." By the time it reaches the passenger it becomes "We need to divert because the pilot doesn't have the experience to land in this fog." By the time the passenger tells the story to his friends it's become "Oh my God! Our pilot didn't know how to fly the plane!!!"

Genilson Guest

Adjusting landing speed is a matter of adjusting forces. Try to reduce trust and add drag. Use the speedbreak if necessary. Use minimum power with flaps all the way down and landing gear down. Remember that landing a plane, even in a simmulation, is one of the most critical procedures in aviation , so try to perform the aircraft in a smooth glide. It's a good idea to try visual aproach using the glide slope and cheking on the PAPI.

Ask your instructor.

ollie farmer Guest

No one bothered to mention that the Angle of Attack reading is the best judge of speed to land.  Slow aircraft until AOA is where you need it and that speed is what works best.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...