Landing Learjet 45 via AP/Aprch - can't see runway, crash!!

PilotPaul Guest

I've been studying FS2004/Learjet 45 flight techniques and have advanced to the point where I can *almost* land, but not quite. Any advice is appreciated.

ILS approach to rwy 28L, NAV1 set to APCH frequency, intercepting the localizer via the Approach button on the autopilot. Nice glidepath established, 20 degrees flaps, 135KIAS. I was told that as you get to about 200 ft, you should take control of the plane and cut engines to idle over the runway. Seems reasonable enough.

But, I can't see the runway from the cockpit! Unless I put the plane into a nasty dive, all I can see is the sky and the instruments. So, I can't tell when I'm over the runway and therefore ready to float to a stop.

Who else has landed a Learjet 45 with FS2004? How did you do it? 😳

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Velocity_Boy Trainee

If you press Shift Enter it will raise your seat position as much as you wish. Press Space to reset (when you flair and are looking at clouds.)

Good landings

PilotPaul Guest

Raising the seat, eh? ok, i'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. thanks... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

You can also try pressing the 'w' key to make the instrument panel disappear. You'll still have the major instruments, to aid in your approach, but you'll be able to see between and beneath them (I also like to use this view when taxiing). Press 'w' again, and all instruments disappear. Press it a 3rd time and you're back in the normal cockpit view.

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I have the same problem with all my landings
Above all suggestions at the previous posts there is another one. If you have a reasonable monitor (17-19’’) and good eye site (like to a real pilot!!! 😂 ) you can reduce the main panel size (instrument panel) to 2/3 or to any size and drag it to the lower end of the monitor and then stretch down the view screen.. To “raise” your chair (with shift-enter) is a good solution but …it is giving you a false illusion of the slope angle. There is a better solution to work with a multiple monitor but that is another story.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Here's a good suggestion for you to try. When you are on final and have established a glide slope, put your flaps out to their MAXIMUM amount, which may be 20 degrees, i dunno. This will create enough lift to force the aircraft to keep a more nose down angle of attack, and you will be able to see the runway. The theory behind this is the fact that when you have the autopilot turned on, it will run up the trim to keep you on the glide slope, so, if you have the throttle up a little higher so you dont loose as much speed, you can see the runway better. If you really want me to show you, i'll make a video of a approach. All you gotta do is add me on yahoo or MSN

Yahoo: fire_emblem_master

MSN big_beia@hotmail.com

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

As FEM said, use f8 to fully lower the flaps, and the nose will come down (or you can lower it without crashing).

The lear is actually a bit of a beatch to fly generally, if you ask me. (So it looks like they got the model juuuust right) If you're a n 😳 b, I would suggest playing the cessna & 737 to build your skills.

LDrako Guest

Drag the top edge of the panel down an inch or two for a better view, use full flaps unless you have heavy winds, chop the power at 100' AGL, keep the far end of the runway just visible above the edge of the panel, and you should float down to a nice landing at 100-120kt. Lear was a bear until I got this down, now few problems.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...