CFS3 -- Editing .cfg files

NSA Guest

I'm quite seasoned at editing the usual savegame file and even the aircraft config files, which contain variables such as aircraft weight, elevator rand, aileron range, etc... I noticed that the gun strength variable and armor variable weren't included in CFS3/aircraft/[aircraft name]/[aircraft name].cfg. I'm most interested in increasing the strength of my guns on my HO-229AV5, but beside the cfg files, I can only find .dds and .m3d files, which are not readable with wordpad, and any attempt to alter those results in full game corruption inevitably. What I need is either a program that can read .dds or .m3d files, or I need to know the trick to changing gun strength, if there is such a trick.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

NSA wrote:

I'm quite seasoned at editing the usual savegame file and even the aircraft config files, which contain variables such as aircraft weight, elevator rand, aileron range, etc... I noticed that the gun strength variable and armor variable weren't included in CFS3/aircraft/[aircraft name]/[aircraft name].cfg. I'm most interested in increasing the strength of my guns on my HO-229AV5, but beside the cfg files, I can only find .dds and .m3d files, which are not readable with wordpad, and any attempt to alter those results in full game corruption inevitably. What I need is either a program that can read .dds or .m3d files, or I need to know the trick to changing gun strength, if there is such a trick.

If those are the same .dds files MS now uses for the textures in FSX, then this page might be of interest: http://developer.nvidia.com/legacy-texture-tools

I admit though, this doesn't make any sense to me. Re the .m3d files - it's making my head spin. Here is a page that might steer you on the right course: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/

I'm groping in the dark and hoping for the best as you can gather. Sim-Outhouse and SimNetwork are good resource centers for most things CFS related. Have a look in their forums if no other solution turns up.

I take it you've tried Hex editors?

NSA Guest

Yeah, the hex editor turns up the same garbage as wordpad. It seems that the .dds and .m3d files are exclusively pertaining to textures. ...... Wait. I just stumbled onto something with the hex editor as I typed this message. There is an ".xdp" file in there which I can read with WinHex and it has the exact variables I was looking for. You saved the day. Thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Bingo! Congratulations - and thanks for the reference to WinHex - had never even heard of it 🍻

deathdevil Guest

i use the xmlword pad its like note pad u can get it for free at ms web sight Twisted Evil

xmlnotepad2007 Guest

😕 is it xml notepad 2007? that you really mean?
i can't find anything that will open .dll or .xml with windows ME or 2000, darn Crying or Very sad my xp hard drive locked up and the celron in it isn't worth fixin Crying or Very sad

hexedit Guest

does hexedit work on ME?????? says 95 and 98????

hexedit Guest

ok, wise guys, hexedit2.51 works on ME! 😎
now could you please tell me what i can use to open and edit .dll files?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

hexedit wrote:

ok, wise guys, hexedit2.51 works on ME! 😎
now could you please tell me what i can use to open and edit .dll files?

See if this is what you want.

http://www.restuner.com/tour-resourceeditor.htm

Radar

hexedit Guest

😀 hey,
maybe it is but do you know of any freeware ones?
thanks 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...