Basic question - how do you shut off the engines and turn on

Pro Member Trainee
terryleemartin Trainee

Hi,
I have read all the commands available for FSX and looked everywhere I can think of. and I am embarased to admit I can't figure out how to shut down and start up the engines on my aircraft. Embarassed It just never came up before. The Engine commands listed show you everything else but this. How is it done?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Ctrl + Shift + 1 to Shutdown
&
Ctrl + E to start them up.

Or if you wanner be realistic, you can turn the engines off by cutting the fuel supply off in the cockpit.

Pro Member Trainee
terryleemartin Trainee

Hi, I tried as you instructed but could not get the keyboard commands to work. I tried on several aircraft. I was sitting at the beginning of the runway. The engine was idleing. I pressed CTRL-Shift-1, and nothing happened. I tried it with the regular keyboard #1 and then the Numeric Keypad #1. When I did it using the keyboard #1, it gave me a new viewpoint from the cockpit. Up and to the left. I was pressing them simultaniously.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it might be.

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Have you changed any keys around? try going through settings ingame and find where you assign key commands and click something like "reset to default" and then try Ctrl + Shift + 1

Pro Member Trainee
terryleemartin Trainee

Hi Captain
I checked and found that there were no defaults keys set up to shut down the aircraft engines on my simulator. I went back and hit the "revert to Defaults" button and found out that nothing had changed. There still was no procedure for shutting down the engines. So I created one by using the keyboard strokes you suggested, and it now works fine. Thank you very much.
By the way, there was the default for starting the engines, just none for shutting it off.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

If you want to shut down all engines at once it's

CTRL+SHIFT+F1

To shut down any one of multiple engines one at a time.

E select ENG # 1 2 3 OR 4 then CTRL+SHIFT+F1.

Start-up E eng # CTRL+E

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

terryleemartin wrote:

Hi,
I have read all the commands available for FSX and looked everywhere I can think of. and I am embarased to admit I can't figure out how to shut down and start up the engines on my aircraft. Embarassed It just never came up before. The Engine commands listed show you everything else but this. How is it done?

If you want a realistic Start and shut Down, then i recommend a payware, but if your just sticking with default, ctrl e is really the only way, and to shut down like in real life, all you do is click the fuel cutoff knob or button.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there!

No need to be embarrassed, we've all been in that situation before. I'm more than happy to help you with shutting down and starting up the engines in Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). To do this, you can either use the keyboard shortcuts or go through the virtual cockpit.

Using Keyboard Shortcuts:

For a quick and easy method, you can use these keyboard shortcuts:

1. To shut down the engines, press and hold Ctrl + Shift + F1.
  2. To start the engines, press and hold Ctrl + E.

Keep in mind that these shortcuts work for most aircraft, but there might be some exceptions depending on the specific aircraft model.

Using Virtual Cockpit:

If you prefer a more immersive experience, you can also shut down and start up the engines using the virtual cockpit:

1. To shut down the engines, locate the throttle levers (the levers that control the engine power) in the cockpit. Drag them to the idle position (usually all the way back).
  2. Next, find the mixture levers (controls the fuel-to-air ratio in the engine) and drag them to the cut-off position (usually all the way back). This will cut off fuel supply to the engines, shutting them down.
  3. To start the engines, first, ensure that the battery and avionics switches are turned on. Then, locate the ignition switches (often labeled as "Start" or "Magnetos") and switch them to the start position for a few seconds. You should hear the engines starting up.
  4. After the engines have started, you can set the mixture levers to the full rich position (usually all the way forward) and adjust the throttle levers as needed.

This method might vary slightly depending on the aircraft you're flying, so it's always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the specific cockpit layout of the plane you're using.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. Enjoy your flights in FSX!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...