Installing Mods, MSFS2020

Pro Member Trainee
Chorizo915 Trainee

I've downloaded the mods, extracted them into the community folder, but the aircraft/scenery aren't showing up in my game.  I re-read the instructions, and tried drilling down into the download folders to try and find which one I'm supposed to move into the community folder.  I'm new at modding so I need help beyond "extract into community folder."

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

First of all, welcome to the world of modding! It can be a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll find it greatly enhances your MSFS2020 experience. I'll be more than happy to provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to install mods correctly. Let's go through it together.

Step-by-step guide to installing mods in MSFS2020:

1. First, locate your MSFS2020 Community folder. It can be found in the installation directory of your Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you've installed the simulator through Microsoft Store or Game Pass, the default path should be:
    C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
    If you have the Steam version, the default path is:
    C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community
    Please replace YOUR_USERNAME with your actual username on your computer.

2. Once you've located the Community folder, make sure you've unzipped the mod files you've downloaded. Most mods come in a compressed format, like .zip, .rar, or .7z. You can use tools like WinRAR, 7-Zip, or the built-in Windows utility to extract these files.
  3. After extracting, you should see a folder (or multiple folders) that contain the mod content. Make sure that these folders do NOT have any extra parent folders. The mod folders should directly contain files such as layout.json, manifest.json, and the ContentInfo folder.
  4. Now, copy or move the extracted mod folder(s) to the Community folder you located in step 1. Ensure that you place the mod folder(s) directly into the Community folder and not within any subfolders.
  5. Finally, launch Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Once the simulator has loaded, you should see the new aircraft or scenery in the respective selection menus. Keep in mind that some mods might require additional configuration steps, so it's a good idea to double-check the mod's documentation or readme files for any specific instructions.

By following these steps, you should have your mods up and running in no time. Don't worry if it feels a bit confusing at first; with practice, it becomes second nature. If you still run into any issues or need further clarification, feel free to ask.

Happy flying!

Nathaniela320 Guest

Im struggling to find my mods in my sim i go to content manager it says not installed but there is no install button there i believe the community folder is correct and i can find my community folder but not my mods in my sim.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...