94%
 94%  [ 17 ]
Macintosh
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 18

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

My friends and I were discussing (realy arguing) about which type of computer is better. Which one do you think? I prefer Windows.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I came across this last year. While the numbers may have varied slightly since then, I feel this still portrays an accurate assessment. Of course this does not tell us which is the better OS, just the most popular.

The operating system market (OS) is dominated by the behemoth of Microsoft, with 93.63 percent of Internet users worldwide now using a Windows OS product. Only 2.53 percent of users use Macintosh products while 0.36 percent use a Unix OS. About 3.5 percent use another OS.

Pro Member Trainee
Pitt Trainee

😀 Duh of cause Microsoft Windows are better, what do you think, Bill Gate is the richest person in the world and mac is probably the worst computer ever. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Of Course!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Macs are ok as work stations,and Ermm... .......................... Umm... Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I build my own computers and have for years.

I am part of that 0.36 % who use the Linux OS. Right now I'm using Mandrake 10.1 for pretty much everything except the simulator, which, of course needs Windows....

I wouldn't touch a Mac with a barge pole.....
😁

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 I have used Linux and have been thinking of partioning my h/d so I can have Windows and Linux......but not just yet

I have a Linux CD which runs the OS from the CD...........no harddisk required just boot to it and off it goes.Very usefull if you hit problems with Windows or your hard drive as you can search the web for answers,and its fast while searching

One day I wil join that 0.36%

Pro Member Trainee
falconjgc Trainee

Ive had alot of conflicts with my friend about this and he wouldnt give up on macintosh. I want windows. Windows may freeze more but it has more things to do then the Mac.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Was that Andy you had the conflict with?

Pro Member Trainee
falconjgc Trainee

yes 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

I thought so. 😀 He would probally die without his Macintosh. He thinks that Windows freezes way too much.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

"I have used Linux and have been thinking of partioning my h/d so I can have Windows and Linux......but not just yet "

Don't wait Tom, It's fun to play with....

Mandrake 10.1 or Suse Linux ver. 9.2 would be my choices (Both avial for freee DL)

Pro Member Trainee
falconjgc Trainee

He also thinks tat macs are more reliable but lets not gang up on him to much. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Michael_H wrote:

"I have used Linux and have been thinking of partioning my h/d so I can have Windows and Linux......but not just yet "

Don't wait Tom, It's fun to play with....

Mandrake 10.1 or Suse Linux ver. 9.2 would be my choices (Both avial for freee DL)

Ermm... I have 2 H/Ds 80gb main and 120gb slave.The main one is about 75% full,thats why I say not just yet,and I use the other for video editing and transfer to DVD
Both have XP as the OS and I just boot to the slave drive when Im working with video,but can access either drive from both
I dont want to use up valuable space on the slave drive as it can get quite full when messing with video

Im planning on a reformat of the 80gb drive,just to get rid of all the junk Ive collected ,and its starting to take a while to boot against the other which only has XP and the video/dvd program on it

The bootable Linux is Knoppix Linux 3.4 and I would have no problem using it,bar for fs9 and a few other games.
Yes I agree its fun mess about with

Just how old is the version I have? seeing 10.1 and 9.2 makes me wonder what I might be missing

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

"The bootable Linux is Knoppix Linux 3.4 and I would have no problem using it,bar for fs9 and a few other games.
Yes I agree its fun mess about with

Just how old is the version I have? seeing 10.1 and 9.2 makes me wonder what I might be missing"

TTT,
the latest version of Knoppix is 3.7.
These live CDs (mandrake also has one) are OK for things like you describe
ie: a hosed Windows setup, hard drive dying, but nothing like having a real Linux distro installed to your hard drive.
You have a sh!tload of storage space there so finding 10 gigs or so for Linux shouldn't be hard later when you decide to reformat.

Just one thing, make sure when you do that that you do not format the space you are going to use for Linux..Leave it unallocated/unpartitioned on the end of the drive after your Windows partition or partitions.
Doesn't have to be done this way, but this is by far the most reliable method.

The Linux install will give you the option to install to the unallocated space and it will set up Linux partitions and format them. It will set up a bootloader so you have the option to boot into any OS on that drive or the other one... Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 thanks for the info about the partitioning

Just one last thing,which would you go for,Knoppix,Mandrake or Suse Linux?Or are they all much the same?

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

TTT,

first, Knoppix Linux is just basically a live CD distro that runs on your CD drive and installs nothing onto your hard drive.. It can be installed to the hard drive (they say), but I have never seen anyone who managed to do it.. Dont Know The hardware settings are held in RAM. Very slow option, but nice for someone who hasn't tried Linux and wants to have a look without going to the trouble of a full install on the hard drive (which is really not much trouble at all)

Mandrake Linux (current stable ver. is 10.1) is probably the most user friendly distro for someone not used to Linux. It would probably find and configure everything you have on your machine. (Suse would also)

You download 3 ISO files (or one, if you have a DVD burner) and burn images to CDs or a DVD and that's all you need.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/

Suse Linux is another user friendly distribution. Current stable ver. is 9.2

I would probably start with Mandrake, just for ease of use for someone coming from Windows..

Oh, by the way, you would be able to access your Windows partitions from Linux, but not the other way around.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...