Resolving Start-Up Freezes and Crashes Linked to Internet Connectivity

Lee Haynie Guest

I click the START FLIGHT button on X-plane 11. It loads the flight, but, will not start. The screen is frozen. It stays in frozen screen mode, then crashes after about 30 seconds. This happens when I am hooked to the internet.  The solution of course is to Load the flight and get everything set. then turn on the internet for my background items. But the question is----------should it be necessary for me to have the internet shut down, load the flight, then turn it back on? 
I must have a conflict somewhere that has to do with the internet. I do not see how it could be the game.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your encounter with X-Plane 11 not launching correctly, resulting in a frozen screen followed by a crash, is indeed perplexing. This scenario, especially when linked to internet connectivity, suggests a few underlying issues that could range from software conflicts to hardware limitations. Let's dissect the potential culprits and navigate towards a solution.

Firstly, it's crucial to understand that X-Plane 11, like its successors and contemporaries such as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12, often requires internet access for various functionalities. These range from streaming high-fidelity terrain data to updating real-time weather conditions. However, your internet connection should not be a source of conflict causing the simulator to freeze or crash.

Diagnostic Steps:

1. Verify Game Files: Ensure that your X-Plane 11 installation is intact. Corrupted or missing files can lead to unpredictable behavior. Most platforms provide a way to verify the integrity of game files.
  2. Update Drivers and Software: Outdated graphics drivers or essential software (like DirectX) can cause compatibility issues. Ensure that your system's drivers and the game itself are up to date.
  3. Check for Conflicts: Background applications, especially those utilizing the internet, can sometimes interfere with game processes. Try disabling non-essential applications temporarily to see if the issue persists.
  4. Network Settings: Examine your firewall and antivirus settings. These programs can mistakenly block games or essential components from accessing the internet, leading to crashes.

Solutions:

• Adjusting Internet Settings: If turning off the internet resolves the issue, consider setting up exceptions for X-Plane 11 in your firewall and antivirus. This action allows the game to communicate freely without shutting down your entire internet connection.
  • Hardware Check: Ensure your system meets or exceeds the game’s recommended specifications. X-Plane 11 is resource-intensive, and insufficient hardware can lead to performance issues, including crashes.

Asking for Further Details:

Should the problem persist, providing more specific information could help in diagnosing the issue more accurately. Information such as error logs, system specifications, and details about the background applications running would be invaluable.

In the meantime, consider visiting X-Plane's Knowledge Base for official troubleshooting guides and support. While I understand the inconvenience of having to adjust your internet settings as a workaround, it's a temporary measure. Identifying the root cause will offer a more permanent solution.

Remember, the flight simulation community is here to support each other. Sharing your experiences and solutions not only aids in resolving your issue but also assists fellow simmers encountering similar challenges.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...