GMAX models suck the life out of my scenery

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I've been looking for a cargo plane and found a ProSky 757-200 in DHL livery. Flight dynamics and panel are great, but the GMAX model plays havoc with my MegaScenery 2004 Other GMAX planess cause the scenery to be slow getting in focus, but this one never does in the spot plane view/

I've tried a number of tweaks, but can't seem to beat the problem. Any ideas?

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your probably low on memory ( for this sim) by not having enough, having too many programs running in the background, older video card or too many useless slides maxed out.

How about listing your system specs.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Dell Dimension 3000
2.8Ghz P4
512 MB RAM
Intel Extreme 3D 2 (in motherboard) 128MB

I suspect I'll need more RAM Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes, and if you can do something about that video card that'll help also. The card is most likely using some of your ram (shared) for itself.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes it is shared (128MB). I have to look to see if the Dimension 3000 has a slot for a graphics card. I suppose the easiest solution is to put 2GB RAM in the box.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

Yes it is shared (128MB). I have to look to see if the Dimension 3000 has a slot for a graphics card. I suppose the easiest solution is to put 2GB RAM in the box.

Yeah those integrated graphic adaptors are a money savers for Dell, but you really don't want to running a graphic intensive program like FS2004 with one. I am sure your mobo will have the slot for a new graphic board. The two gigs of RAM, even one gig of RAM and a good graphic card should do it. Spend the maximum you can afford on the card.

Pro Member Chief Captain

The mobo has 3 PCI slots of which 2 are available. Most of the graphics cards I see, other than AGP, seem to be PCI-Express. I'm not up on the "newfangled" hardware specs, so I am uncertain.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

As far as I know all the PCI cards are old they are only making PCIE and AGP.
A typical Dell, no AGP slot, too bad.
Check around but I doubt it, you better check and see how much ram that board can handle.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's what I thought. The board will take 2 GB The built in card uses 128 MB.

In the mean time, I believe there is a utility that enables one to unload other programs when FS is being used and restart them when FS is exited.

Now if I could only remember the name of it. Doh!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This is the program that you are talking about.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2660/fs2004-speedup-07-beta/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Many thanks. Just downloaded it. Will report how it works. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

I wish I could say it helped. Not only didn't it help the problem, but I found it caused things to come to a halt for several seconds at a time. I wasn't having that problem, otherwise.

Oh well, until I install more RAM, I'll just fly other planes. Lord knows, I have enough of them. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Odd, it usually woks quite well.
More ram soon, try www.crucial.com .

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's where I always get RAM. Always works, they process orders quickly and free shipping.

I figured I was pushing the limits of what I had. The scenery works great except when I fly gmax models. Thanks for your help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Let us know how it works out when you load the new ram. You should see an overall improvement in not only the sim but in you machine also.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

After all this discussion, I found a Project OpenSky 767 in UPS livery, a gmax model, that doesn't cause my scenery problems. Yes

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...