Air Speed Indicator Only Calibrated to 450kias

I note that the analogue default ASI that is shown in 2D cockpit mode, with W key pressed is only calibrated up to 450kias.

I have a Eurofighter "Typhoon" which goes rather faster than that speed - I can't really read the 2D cockpit speed but in "Map" mode in appears to be doing nearly 700 kias.

Is there any way to modify the default ASI so that the correct speed is shown ?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

While I don't now the answer to your question you could press "Ctrl+Z" two or three times and two red lines of information will appear at the top of your screen, KIAS among them.
Radar

spuddi Guest

maybe you could download a different panel that has gaugues that go up to the speed you want. or if you feeling brave maybe just ipmort the gauge from another panel by editing the panl.cfg

P.s I don't want to offend but your not confusing KIAS with TAS?

Thanks Radarman, I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Yes, Spuddi - so far as I know all ASIs are calibrated in kias which I convert to mph when I need to get into a speed I understand.

sri spuddi, I misread your response - what is TAS? Not met that abbreviation.

Don Wood Guest

TAS = True Air Speed. It is indicated airspeed corrected for altitude and temperature. As you gain altitude, becuase of the less dense air, TAS is usually greater than IAS.

spuddi Guest

as Don Says TAS is the true Airspeed. Alot of people quote this cause its the bigger figure, but it often confuses people cause they think "i'm at 35,000 ft and my airspeed indicater says i'm doing 315knots, i'm sure 747's go faster than this".
theres been loads of discussions on this site about the confusion.
you can even search this site for a way to calculate TAS from KIS given a certain altitude.
Obviously TAS = KIAS on ground level, although if your going to do 315knots at gorund level good luck.

at higher altitudes it's best to go of the mach readings.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...