Best Default Scenery-> You have gotta take this flight!

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hello Fellow Flight Simmers,
Quite recently I have been taking lots of flights around Norway, in search of the famous Northern Lights during nightime (see thread here https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/10231/northen-lights/ but when I changed the world to daytime, I discovered that the scenery below me was also very beautiful, the nicest looking scenery in the whole virtual world in fact!

I highly recommend the area around the airport known as 'Haukasen' and if you have some spare time, take the flight I just did and I assure you that you will be stunned. Just follow the map and instructions I have made below:

To start off with, place your aircraft at ENSG on runway six. I suggest taking a light aircraft like a Cessna 182. I took a Cessna 210 and it took me 30 minutes to complete the 105km circuit, cruising at 170 knots.

Set your weather to low visibility in the weather options (10-16km) but with no wind or rain or clouds. Set the time and date to lunch time on a summer day. Make sure you don’t do it on a winter day because otherwise there will be snow EVERYWHERE. If you do it on summer there’s a mix of everything, with calm blue waters in the fjords, steep rocky cliffs, rolling grassy pastures, tree-lined valleys, mountain lakes and snow capped peaks!

I haven’t posted any screenshots like I normally do because I don’t want to spoil the surprise for you. I thought it would be cool if you all took some screenshots and posted them here in this forum instead to compare with one another!

Anyway, take off from runway six, heading westwards, following the red line on the map. When the fjord shortly splits into three, take the left river, and follow it north at staying about 3,000 feet. After a bend in the river, you will see a tributary river splitting off to the left again. Turn up it and follow the small stream up into the mountains. You will see some lakes on a plateau with steep cliff edges around them. At the end of the second lake's cliff, turn west over it and head over a steep grassy valley until you reach another isolated lake. Once over that lake, turn southerly and head towards the inlet in front of you. Your altitude will have increased a lot once over these mountains so begin to descend until you are at just 1,000 feet. Fly fast and low along the cliff edges, getting as close as possible to them without crashing! (The whole area marked in green on the map above is the part of the route where you should fly low at 1,000 feet) Once the fjord widens, take the left split and head back towards 'Haukasen' there will be a big fjord off to your left which you need to ignore and continuee past before you see the land which you started from. The area marked in yellow on the map above is the most tricky park of the whole route and requires a certain amount of skill. As your turn around the outlet cliff head in front of the airport, your will need to CLIMB up 600 feet to get level with the ground above, then climb a little more, before DESCENDING again down onto the runway. You need to manage your speed and flaps carefully to make sure you don’t stall!

Have fun!

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i have been thinking, whilst searching for the northern lights, that the scenery below would look amazing during the day, so i will fly there today.

Good post my friend

Micah 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Want to do it online then, I'm just logging onto fsimcafe's server on 67.18.56.106

Might see you there ❗

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Slarty Bartfast did beautiful work. (For those who are not Hitchiker's Guide fans, he's the planet designer who did the Norwegian fjords.) One question: why the "low visibility" recommendation?

HL

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Thanks Andrew, I'll try out that flight in a few minutes. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

slarti did do agood job indeeed. very nice scenery 🙂

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

why the "low visibility" recommendation

Because it represents the real Norwegien misty weather and makes everything seem bigger and better when you dont know whats around the next corner!

Pro Member First Officer
Corgi First Officer

Thanks Cheeky,

I've just done that flight, awesome scenery

Regards

George 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...