FS98 Vs FS2004

eFIS user Guest

its been a while since i used flight simulator properly. the last one i used was fs98, which was really good at the time. thinking about getting the 2004 one but was just wondering if it is significantly better. is it good for navigation? ie u can fly from place x to place y yet still get a good realistic feel out of it? do u see proper motorways on the ground when your flying?

also what do u recommend, professional or normal pack?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Welcome!

To be honest and I think that I speak on behalf or everyone who plays FS2004 that FS2004 is much much better! The scenery isn't too great - but that is just plain MS default scenery. Yuo can always buy add-ons freeware and payware to improve any feature that you want in FS!

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

eFIS user wrote:

its been a while since i used flight simulator properly. the last one i used was fs98, which was really good at the time. thinking about getting the 2004 one but was just wondering if it is significantly better. is it good for navigation? ie u can fly from place x to place y yet still get a good realistic feel out of it? do u see proper motorways on the ground when your flying?

also what do u recommend, professional or normal pack?

FS2004 is WAY, WAY, WAY better than FS98. Yea, you get navigate using VOR, DME, ADF, there are ILS, and VOR approaches, 3D cockpit, grafics are GREAT, a lot better than FS98, in FS2004 there is also interactive Air Traffic Control. Look at this web site:
http://fsinsider.com/
However FS2004 is a very graffic intensive program, what are your PC specs?

eFIS user Guest

sounds alright

my spec is a pentium II 2.6ghz, 512mb ram, 256mb radeon 9250 graphics card.

maybe il look into that, or wait until fs 2006

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I would buy 2004 now and buy 2006,when it arrives. 2004 has some great historical aircraft that may not make it into 2006. I keep flight Sim 98 on an old computer. I will run it every once in a while. The difference is massive. Flight Sim 2000 was the turning point. 2000 was good. 2002 very good. 2004 is great. If you love the history of aviation like I do; get 2004. It's only $30 US. 🙂

eFIS user Guest

will it work well on my computer? by the way that should read pentium 4, not pentium 2.

would u recommend the professional edition or just the normal one?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

There is only 1 edition of fs9
As for the difference between 98 /04 , Umm... Playing tennis on a pc in in the 80s and looking out of the window of a real flight
Stop messing about,if flying is your thing,buy it 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Specs. for your computer look pretty good. I run a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz with 1 GB ram, 256 MB Nvidia Ge Force 6600 video card. My computer runs Flight Simulator 2004, just fine. Just make sure you use a joy stick. I use the CH Flight Sim yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals. That's a great set up but pricey. I also use the more reasonably priced Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. Whatever you want but use a joystick of some type.

As mentioned above. There is only one version of MSFS 2004 (fs9)

guest Guest

one annoying thing i found on fs98 is that when u turn the engines on, its not a proper "startup". the humming just comes in and its done within 3 seconds.

but on a real flight, the engine starting process is a bit more gradual. you can feel the revs getting louder n louder.

does Fs2004 sort this out?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The start is somewhat better but still fast. It's better than flight Sim 98.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...