Arrrgghhh! Blasted big planes...

Pro Member First Officer
Jason Melancon (Mithheru) First Officer

My little trip from KSFO to KLAX went fairly uneventful today...until when it came time to land.

I was all lined up for runway 6L and getting close to landing. I checked behind me to see if any other planes were landing on 6L also and I saw a Boeing coming up fast. The tower was giving 'go around' instructions left and right so I figured I'll stay on course until I'm told to go around. And since I was ahead of him I thought he might be told to go around instead of me.

In the midst of it all I think the Boeing got the go around instruction and decided to climb AFTER he passed me from below! The last thing poor Mithheru and his 4 passengers saw was U.S. Airways printed on the fuselage of the plane as it's right elevator hit the left wing of his little Cessna Stationair.

So, the next time you fly to/from KLAX look for the small crater about 1/4th down 6L and say a prayer for the souls that were lost there on that spot. I don't know what happened to the other plane, but I"m sure it faired a lot better than mine.

Now, to start a new pilot and avoid KLAX until I feel confident that there isn't another U.S. Airways plane waiting to clip me again.

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

That's a very annoying problem with the AI. And there's a program that fixes that problem called AISmooth.

I'll find it for you.

Pro Member First Officer

No need to find it. I have AISmooth and had it running. I think KLAX is just too busy with all the ProjectAI files I've installed.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

well agus, I bet you won't mind finding it for me then

😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I won't mind finding it for you, Sean.

Go to www.avsim.com and type this file name: aismooth_v111a.zip

I don't know if that version is the latest one, but it should work fine.

Pro Member First Officer

Here's the report on the flight with my comments in bold:

Flight MAS141 flight report log Date January 14 2006

Flight ID: MAS141
Pilot: Mithheru Allaraan (RIP)
Company: Mithheru's Air Services
Aircraft: Cessna 206 No PWV3
Flight Date: January 14 2006
Departure: 13h11 (21h11 GMT)
Arrival: --
To: KLAX - Los Angeles Intl - Usa
Nbr of Passengers: 4

Accident Report:

The aircraft crashed at 15h18 hitting ground at 98 kt with a vert. speed of -7990 ft/m.
There were no known failures on this aircraft at the time of the accident.The cause of the crash remains unknown, most probably it was due to human error. No emergency was declared before the crash.
Human error? You bet it was human error although it's debatable which human made the error. As for not declaring an emergency, I didn't have time to even scream.

Casualties:
-4 passengers aboard
-4 killed
-0 injured
-Pilot and flight crew were killed

Report:

Flight Distance: 292 Nm Landing Speed: --
Time Airborne: 01h58:06 Landing Touchdown: --
Flight Time (block): 02h07:43 Landing Pitch: --
Time On Ground: 00h11:04 Landing Weight: --
Average Speed: 148.50 kt Total Fuel Used: 210 lbs
Max. Altitude: 9055ft Fuel Not Used: 340 lbs
Climb Time: 00h10:40 Climb Fuel Used: 25 lbs
Cruise Time: 00h56:25 Cruise Fuel Used: 95 lbs
Average Cruise Speed: 163.50 kt (M0.25) Cruise fuel/hour: 101 lbs (calc)
Descent Time: 00h51:01 Descent Fuel Used: 90 lbs

Passenger Opinion: Terror and grief. (0%)
-Didn't like your inverted flying. (179°)
-Were terrified by the last dive before the crash.
How do you suppose they know what the passengers thought? Maybe they were the only ones they could get remains from at the crash site. Poor ol' Mith and his co-pilot must have been piles of goo.

Crash Financial Report:

Taking into account the state of the aircraft and its current resale value after the crash. The insurance company decided to pay a total of $134,582 which represents 53.13% of the resale value. You can now decide to repair or sell the wreck. The insurance will pay all other damages. The insurance rate increased by 2.00% and is now 6.32%.
Total Sim Income: $134,582
That view of the backend of the plane sticking out of the runway tells me that it's not recoverable at all.

Company Reputation:

Due to the crash, your company reputation is now: 66% (-15.34 decrease)
All that good flying and positive feedback from customers shot to Censored in one flight.

Overall Flight Result: Crash

Pilot's Penalty points: -1387 points
And I was about to become C2.
Crash! You hit the ground with an impact speed of -7990 ft/mn. There was no failure aboard this aircraft before the crash and many passengers died because of pilot error. (-850)
Pilot error!?
Executing a very sharp bank angle (179°) is prohibited in commercial aircraft. (-537)
Oh yea? You try and keep your plane straight and level after it's been hit by one considerably larger. I didn't even have time to react.

In memory of the pilot who died these penalty points will not
be recorded in his log and his last rank will be maintained.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

perhaps a silly question, but does the game not normally freeze and say "Aircraft collision!" when you hit another plane in mid-air, and then reload to a point before the crash?

Instead you say you tumbled down and the other A/C just continued flying, did I understand that correctly?

I don't have a lot of experience in mid-air crashes (don't think that that's a particularly bad thing either :d), so perhaps I'm mistaken..

Pro Member First Officer

It likely would have frozen the plane in mid-air if I wasn't a couple of hundred feet above the ground. Also, FsPassengers interrupts that sequence with it's own routine so it might have allowed the plane to hit the ground for added effect.

One thing I did notice is that when that plane hit mine I saw an animation of glass breaking. Not sure if it was FS2004 or FsPassengers that did that.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hi Mithheru,

That exact same thing happened to me, after testing out my demo for FSPASSENGERS flying a Cessna Grand Caravan from San Fransico Int. to Los Angeles Int.

The flight had gone fine untill I was on finals for runway 6L, and as I was about 100 feet above the runway, I changed to spot view to see a huge Northwest AI 747 right on my tail, which I hadn't even heard speak to ATC yet, and as I was cleared to land, I chose to ignore it and continued to land....except the jet crashed straight into me and end my 2 hour flight seconds before hitting the runway Mad

Pro Member First Officer

That's scary isn't it seeing that plane coming up on yours like that. I had thought later that I should have aborted, but then ATC might have told him to abort also and he'd still plow into my little plane anyway.

After reading your post I am convinced that runway 6L may be haunted by all the people who've lost their lives there. So, next time I fly into KLAX I'm requesting something other than 6L if I'm assigned to it.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

runway 6L may be haunted by all the people who've lost their lives there

...come to think of it, I have never preformed a succesful landing at KLAX 😕

Pro Member First Officer

Oh, that sounds very encouraging. 😳

I'll have to do a short hop from a nearby airport to KLAX without FsPassengers to see if I can make a landing there. Will do that first thing tomorrow. Right now though it's time for bed and time to dream of this stuff in my sleep. It's amazing the things you can do when you're not bound by the laws of Physics. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Well, I did a short trip from KSAN (San Diego) to KLAX and I'm happy to say that I was able to land there with no problems. I landed at 7R though. Call me a chicken, but at least I landed without incident. I didn't even have AISmooth running and landed first try without having to go around.

Dumb luck perhaps? We'll see...

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Maybe it is just a rumor but I think you can file a HATR against these poor AI controllers in FS2006

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

I don't think that what you said is true my friend - I personally think that It is a romour 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...