Planes slowing down too fast on Runway

MrSam Guest

have you noticed how quickly the aircraft slows down when on the runway? It's weird, these massive 777s, as soon as they hit the runway, slow down in seconds flat.

I work at an airport, and I see hundreds of landings each week (DC10s, MD11s, A300s, and 727s), and none of them slow down as quickly as they do in FS2004. Anyone know how to fix it?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
cumpaniciu_one Guest

My guess is that since you sit in front of your computer you don't feel the effects of rapid decceleration, so you apply full brakes and reverse (something that airline pilots would only do in emergency).

But that's what I also heard: landings are a lot easier in FS than in real life. On the other hand I hear FS makes maintaing level flight more difficult than it actually is.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

cumpaniciu_one wrote:

My guess is that since you sit in front of your computer you don't feel the effects of rapid decceleration, so you apply full brakes and reverse (something that airline pilots would only do in emergency).

But that's what I also heard: landings are a lot easier in FS than in real life. On the other hand I hear FS makes maintaing level flight more difficult than it actually is.

I think that is partly true but if you are using an addon plane and the autobrakes, then you are probably going to have to change the power of the autobrakes in the config file - they're normally very weak. Once you have the correct power of autobrakes and spoilers, then you should be stopping quickly depending on the autobrake setting.

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Jon,

He means otherwise.In real life, planes take a long time to slow down while in FS it slows down quickly.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

to_coolguys wrote:

Jon,

He means otherwise.In real life, planes take a long time to slow down while in FS it slows down quickly.....

Oops!

Thanks to_coolguys, I wasn't paying attention.

In that case, look at the config file and look at the autobrake setting, or it may be that you have the autobrakes (if you are using them) set to too high. For good weather conditions and clear runway, you only need a setting of 1.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I think it depends on the model. Those produced by PMDG, Level D and Captin Sim, to mention a few, do not exhibit the problem.

MrSam Guest

you're probably right about the max brakes. I have a brake button on my joystick, it's probably too strong when I click it. I noticed that if I "only" use reverse thrust, the decelleration is much more realistic and slows down at a normal rate.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

When I land I usually applay autobrakes depending on the weather, and how good my approach is, i.e. when I'm too fast on a bad weather I apply Autobrakes to MAX. But on good day it's only 1 or sometimes 0 if the runway is long.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...