With Hotel, Lima and India???

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

When ATC speak to you, or you speak to the tower, why does your aircraft name have extensions such as 'With Lima' or 'With Hotel' or 'With India'

I know the ATC alphabet where A= Alpha, B= Bravo, C= Charlie etc, but I still don't understand why ATC adds these letteres onto the aircraft.

The other day, I was listening to the real life ATC Tower at Auckland International Airport with my scanner and heard a pilot say 'We were WITH LIMA but I don' think that's the case anymore'

Please somebody- explain it to me 😳

Cheers

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I think it has somethink to do with the weather. I could be wrong tho. someone will come along and give you a better understanding than me

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

Yes, it is the weather. Every hour, the controller will record the weather information. This information is given a lettre and can be listened to on the airport's ATIS frequency. you should listen to the Atis before making contact with the controller. At the end of your transmission, for example when you ask for a landing in Class D, you finish with the letter assigned to the current information. That letter will change every hour with the atis information. You have to say which Atis information you have listened to so that the controller knows you have the latest weather.
I hope that helps.
Blake 14

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Here is an example, say that you wanted to taxi to the rwy to Take-Off at Helena Airport, your call sign is Cessna N388ES, and you have just listened to the ATIS (Atommatic Terminnal Information System), the ATIS will say some like Helena Reginal Airport, information victor, 0800 Zulu, and then the weather at the airport. You say to ground control:
"Helena Ground Cessna N388ES at South Parking request taxi to the active with information victor."
When you say with infomation victor you are telling the controller that you have the current, up to date, weather for that airport.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Ah, thanks for explaining that Blake, Sam and Liono. 😀 I understand it now.

Cheers

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

thanx to all u helped i didnt understand it either. aviation can be confusing

Don Wood Guest

The only change I would make to the above information is the timing for changes. New broadcasts are prepared and recorded whenever there is a significant change in conditions (wind speed or direction, barometric pressure, runways or approaches in use, etc), not every hour as stated. I have seen 4 or 5 changes in the space of an hour when necessary. I listened to ATIS on the way into Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and it was information Echo. By the time I switched frequencies and contacted Las Vegas Approach, information Foxtrot was current. I stayed with them for only a couple of minutes and was then switched to McCarren Tower. By the time I contacted them, information Golf was current. Here in the desert, there are often quick and significant changes in wind conditions. That happens at many other airports as well.

When you contact approach or the tower and state you have a non-current ATIS broadcast, they are obligated to provide the pilot the updated information. For instance, in the case I mentioned above, the changes were in winds. When I contacted approach, they gave me the updated wind direction and velocity and when I contacted the tower, they did the same. The reason for that is that close in to the airport while you are on an approach, you often don't have time to go back to ATIS for an updated broadcast, especially in single pilot operations.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Thanks for that extra info Don,

I'm just wondering if the fligight you are talking about was real, or on the sim, and where you a passenger or a pilot?

Cheers

Don Wood Guest

I was talking about the real world and I was the pilot.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Cool! I did not know we had any real life pilots on this website 😀

What sort of aircraft do you fly, and how was landing at McCarren, it must have been a fantastic experience!

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i never knew this, the amount you learn on here is phenominal! 😎

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hiya again Micah!
Good to have you back again- where have you been all this time?
Still enjoying the Shoreham addon?

Don Wood Guest

cheekytrolly: Actually, there are several real pilots on this board. I use sim to help maintain my IFR competency since we have so little real IFR weather here on the Nevada desert. In real life and in the sim, I fly a C-172 and have, in the past, flown a C-T210 and a Beach Queen-Air for significant numbers of hours and many other a/c types for fewer hours in each.

I fly into McCarren-Las Vegas with some regularity so it maybe isn't the thrill for me you would expect it to be. Long wide runways are usually not thrilling if you do it right.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...