A good idea to improve flights

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Well, as you all know, there are many charts required for a single flight. All sorts of papers are required to complete one flight, and they have to be sorted in binders. You have to use many papers and waste all that ink, etc. etc. I was thinking, what if, on the reverse side of the tray table, there was a little touchscreen database, where you could access all sorts of charts, instead of filing through all these papers. Has it been done before? I wonder, if not, I should think about it a litte harder, and maybe even patent it

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Michael Judah (compilots) Trainee

This is available but it has not been certified for use!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

There is a new charting feature that is starting in Commercial and Military aviation called the Electronic Flight Bag. It features an integrated touch sensitive display unit that electronically displays chart,weather data and other flight paperwork. There is a form of this available for general aviation called JeppView. You have to buy a notebook computer or a special viewer for cockpit use. All the charts are on DVD. It is quite expensive for now but in the future it will become more affordable. 🙂

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=category.jsp&event=link(browse)&&wlcs_catalog_sourceKey=wlcs_categories&wlcs_catalog_destinationKey=wlcs_siblings&wlcs_catalog_category_id=CNS1EE

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I love the idea, but if I were a pilot I would always have the paper charts with me. I mean it's great to have charts, METAR, fuel calculation, conversions etc in one small package, but I would hate it if the thing malfunctioned, the batteries died or it just decided it was time to display the blue screen of death...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I agree. I guess that's why it's starting with the organizations that have the most backup systems, resources and money to pull it off with less risk. It will have to be well proven before I rely entirely on it. I'm old school, I don't trust technology. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I attempted to try something for FS since approach, departure and airport diagrams are available in PDF format on the FAA site.

I wanted to load them into my Palm T|X. It turns out that the FAA's PDFs are not totally PDF standard-compliant, so that rendering them on the Palm is a bit illegible.

I contacted dataviz, whose software I'm using to view the PDFs in the Palm. They were able to reproduce the problem, but so far don't have a solution. I'm sure I'll get nowhere very quickly if I tell the FAA their PDFs are improperly created. 🙄

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...