What Happened To the Tire Smoke ??

Pro Member Trainee
Michael Guenthner (MJG145CAP) Trainee

When I first installed FS9 I remember seeing tire smoke coming from the landing gear tires when touching down. My first thought was, "wow, that's cool". But since having first installed FS9 and messing with just about every variable setting in the sim, I can no longer see the tire smoke. What I do see are blank video frames where the smoke should be. Anyone have any ideas.

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I could swear that I saw a setting that mentioned that but I just looked and nada.
I guess it'll come when you download an aircraft that has it as an effect.
I still think it's a setting somewhere that I missed.
Just in case it's the codecs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291818

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291948

Pro Member Trainee
paramesh Trainee

hi the black video frames are the rubber left on the runway i have seen it a couple of times .it usually happens when u have a rough landing.

Radarman i dont think there is a setting for the tire smoke. u must have seen the smoke setting for the aerobatic aircraft (sorry cant recollect the name). for which the smoke comes out from the wingtips.
anyway i could also be wrong .
Bye and happy flying

newbie Guest

Try to chuck it quite hard at the runway (not to hard to crash) you should see it then. I don't think its a configuarble setting.

Pro Member Trainee

It's not the tread marks on the runway, I'm still seeing those. Like I said what I see instead of tire smoke are video frames being generated for the smoke but no smoke. When I touch down I see several transparent video frames in the shape of squares, make their way back from the gear to behind the aircraft. When this happens the part of the aircraft covered by the blank video frames dissappears. So the effect is being generated just not being seen. I've tried both default 2004 aircraft and older 2002 as well as freeware airplanes. They all do the same thing. I've even tried restoring the display settings to the default selection but still no tire smoke. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. I'll have to settle for Twinkies instead.

The one thing that I have realized since my first post is that when I originally installed FS9, it was with the Intel graphics and driver that came standard with my PC. I wanted to see the difference when I installed the new graphics card(NVidea GeForce 5600). After plugging in the new video card I believe that is when I stopped seeing the tire smoke. I just have a hard time believing that a better graphics driver and card wouldn't show the same effect. I could be completely wrong of course.

Oh well, thanks for all the suggestions. It's still a great simulator.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if the third from the bottom is what you want.

Nicks Prop Dust.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Found another 😂

Look at this one, it's for 2002 but may work in 2004?

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3100/fs2002-customized-tire-mark-effects/

Let us know.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 Strange I think I know what you mean
I found this for fs9 at Avsim

bluer_tire_smoke.zip

D/load it and see what its going to replace and back them upjust incase

Although it seems you have nothing to loose by just over writing the files

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Pro Member Trainee

tomthetank wrote:

😕 Strange I think I know what you mean

Good luck and let us know how you get on

TTT,

Thanks for finding the download. I never thought to check in the FS9 effects folder to see if the tire smoke effects were there. Well..... they've never left the effects folder and the blue-er tire smoke download simply replaces a couple of effects titled "tchdwn.fx" and "tchdwn_s.fx". I believe that one is the visual effect that I think isn't working for me and the other is a sound effect that is working I think.

Here is the line of Effects code from the default 737-400 cfg file:

[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray
dirt=fx_tchdrt
concrete=fx_sparks
touchdown=fx_tchdwn, 1

Now I don't exactly understand what this is telling the program to do but to me it looks like that it is commanding the software to go and get and run the "fx_tchdwn,1" effect upon touchdown.

All the default Boeing aircraft and most of the add-on freeware aircraft have this same line of effects code.

So can someone else check your FS9 Effects folder and tell me if this is what you have in there for touchdown effects.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 My config file is the same.
Ive looked in the effects folder and found the fx file called fx_tchdwn (note there is no 1 after it)

Have you tried the new file in its place(the original may have become corrupt??)

Have a try(back up the original) and see what happens

Pro Member Trainee

Yes, I tried and and still no smoke. I'll keep trying to figure it out. Maybe my landings are just too good. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I had a thought. What is your display settings set at? Not the 1024x768 or anything, but the overall detail level. Cause maybe if it's too low, you just get blank frames.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

FS2004 Special effects for default DC-3. 2nd from the bottom.

Tire smoke and the chirp, looks like a nice download, I haven't tried it because my DC3 does all that.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3101/fs2004-special-effects-for-default-dc-3/

Pro Member Trainee

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

I had a thought. What is your display settings set at? Not the 1024x768 or anything, but the overall detail level. Cause maybe if it's too low, you just get blank frames.

I've tried every combo of display settings I can think of. I tried starting over with the default settings to running every slider to max and every box checked. My card can handle everything without too many frame stops but nothing I do changes the problem with the smoke.

RM,

I downloaded that add-on and the tire chirp works but nothing else. I can watch the engines start up and there is a lot of smoke generated with each start but again all I'm seeing are blank video frames in the shape of moving and rotating squares. Same goes for any kind of spray or dust generated by rotor wash from a chopper. Just white squares for the spray or light brown squares for the dust.

I'm thinking of trying a re-install. Is this really worth it? I'm more of an "if it isn't broke, don't try and fix it" kind of person. Overall FS9 runs pretty well on my machine so it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Funny thing is that I also have CFS3 and when I start an engine on one of the aircraft in CFS3 I do see the start up smoke. Go figure.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

MJG145CAP,
I'm afraid that I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type also. I would just live with that small inconvenience if the sim performs well overall. Maybe a "fix" is in your future. 🙄

You have tried the keyboard "I" for engine smoke, haven't you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Still 😕
Just in case the fx files are on cd1(rather than a reinstall)

TTT

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...