Real landing with Parking brake-ON!(Pictures)

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

This is what happens when you land a Embraer ERJ-170 with the parking brake on.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/Freebies/USAirParkingBrake/

How could it happen to a professional crew? I have heard of this before so let me tell you.

The emergency checklist (QRH-quick reference handbook) calls for the parking brake(PB) to be engaged in the process of coping with certain Hydraulic system malfunctions. Without getting too technical, it pressurizes certain hydraulic lines that help restore accumulator pressure as part of the emergency procedure. It should only be on for a certain amount of time, say 1 min. Many QRH are somewhat poorly written and never remind you to release the brake. Nothing on the normal checklist reminds you to release the brake. There are no warning lights in most aircraft to warn you that the PB is engaged. Some aircraft do warn you but many don't. Parking brake handle in many aircraft are small and not within your normal field of view. Put all of this together with the stress of the emergency situation and you can get a very short landing and a closed runway. 🙂

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=406

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/Hydraulics.htm

Last edited by CRJCapt on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Great photos 👍

They've been posted here recently in a different thread. I'll have a look for it 😉

Thanks! 🍻

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

that is one mad photo!!

I remember that i tried this in flight sim with a small plane, a piper i think, (i believe i just held the brake on as it wouldn't let me set the parking brake before landing), and when i touched down i basically cartwheeled down the runway, very very funny!!

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

For those that haven't seen it, Embraer ERJ-170 short field landing. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Very interesting photos 👍

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

LMAO! 😂

Gotta love the skidmarks down the runway!

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Hey,you're flying,not drifting!

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

COOL shoots!! 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

I'm trying to write a paper on the above incident. There is no information anywhere on the internet, the NTSB does not list an accident of this sort with any Embraer aircraft, none in Houston, none on August 26, 2005, or registration N804MD or any combination of that.

Is it possible that this was a test? Or is that aircraft actually an Embraer? Or maybe it wasn't in the U.S.

Last edited by Canyon (NoWorries) on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

NoWorries wrote:

I'm trying to write a paper on the above incident. There is no information anywhere on the internet, the NTSB does not list an accident of this sort with any Embraer aircraft, none in Houston, none on August 26, 2005.

Is it possible that this was a test? Or is that aircraft actually an Embraer? Or maybe it wasn't in the U.S.

yep that's a an ambraer and yes it's in the us - regional craft 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

That planes certification is expired...I give up.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=804MD

Pilau Guest

Oh, well I know what this is - It's the new Flight Simulator from Microsoft -
Flight Simulator: Tokyo Drift

Pro Member First Officer

I give up completely now! She was sold/merged to Rebublic Airlines on January 3rd of this year, and reregistered N635RW.

I don't want to call this a conspiracy theory...but according to the experts...the pictures never happened, or at least not like the description!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If I can find the other (older)thread about this I will
But from what I remember it was a fault with the brakes

Pro Member First Officer

I've actually found a little bit of info now...

http://www.jacdec.de/news/months/05_09.htm About half way down.

None of the stories match up. I called US Airways but got their machine, Embraer's website is down. I sent US Airways an e-mail.

The stories I have read range from plausible(what CRJCapt) posted, to ludicrous(Pilot tried to fool the ACARS into dumping the take-off time) to the left brakes being locked, which doesn't match the pictures what-so-ever.

I can't understand why the heck the NTSB hasn't investigated it...if it was a brake malfunction, it should have grounded every Embraer 170, if it was pilot error, it should have been posted so other pilots don't make the same problem.

Pro Member First Officer

The more I look at this picture(my report is done, I excluded any doubt of this incident and just assumed that it is absolutely factual...the teacher isn't going to look into it anyways), I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the parking brake.

I believe the left main brake malfunctioned and locked up. The right brake, which gets it's antiskid information from the left brake, locked up under brake pressure.

The aircraft skidded to a halt.

It's much more plausible and believable to me, and the pictures back it up.

Here is a plane that actually did land with it's parking brake set:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040315X00323&key=1

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

1.The NTSB doesn't consider this an accident per Part 830.2 of the regulations because it only effects the gear and wheels and there were no deaths.

2. No malfunction effecting other aircraft thus no AD for fleet of ERJ-170 aircrafts, pilot error.

3.The main landing gear wheels have speed sensors on each wheel(four total), with separate hydraulic tubing to each brake assembly. A malfunction of one wheel assembly would not effect the other wheel. The anti-skid system also incorporates protection against locked wheels landings(Touch down protection), not allowing brake application until a certain spin up speed and weight on wheels. The anti-skid system is rendered inoperative when the parking brake is on.

I was not there but it's very possible that the parking brake was on. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...