Maps and VOR

EduardoP Guest

Hello,

I used to play an old Apple II flight simulator (SubLogic Flight Simulator) which came with a manual with some maps on it.

These maps were very useful. They had the major airports, VOR stations, NDBs, etc. There was one for the northeastern US, one for the Chicago area, etc. There were only 4 or 5 of them, but they were a lot of fun. I used to track radials, and find my position on the map by tuning to 2 VORs. The VOR stations on the maps had circles with all the directions indicated in degrees. It was easy and fun to trace lines on the map with a ruler and find my current position. Now I miss playing this way.

I've seen charts for sale online, but they seem to show only a specific airport and its information. It's not a map. Where can I get a map that shows a region of the world (for example Northeast or Southwest US) with its major airports, VOR, NDB stations, ILS frequencies, etc?

Thanks!
Eduardo

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

FS comes with a few VFR Sectional Charts, but you have to go into the FS directory to get them.

Go into My Computer, then click on Local Disk (C🙂, (or what ever drive you have FS on), then click on Program Files, then Microsoft Games, then Flight Simulator 9, then Charts, then Flights, then you will see 3 sub folders, there are maps in each one.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Charts\Flights

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Check the Sectional and World Aeronautical Charts(WAC) charts. No chart will show ILS frequencies except for Instrument Approach Charts(IAP) for each airport with a ILS. You need IAP charts to properly execute an ILS. These Sectional and WAC charts are real visual charts.
http://www.sportys.com/acb/Category.cfm?&DID=19&CATID=92

Simulated IAP charts and IFR charts: http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=navigation.jsp&event=link(browse)&wlcs_catalog_sourceKey=wlcs_categories&wlcs_catalog_destinationKey=wlcs_siblings&root_category_id=null&wlcs_catalog_category_id=AT1E4
🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

I get most of my charts from www.myairplane.com , the charts are the top left link.

EduardoP Guest

Thank you, now I know what I need: a VFR sectional chart! 🙂

I'll check the ones in the Flight Simulator program folder when I get home.

Eduardo

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...