Runway selection

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Hey Guys,

Lets say I am flying a plane with FMC, like PMDG 747. I don't use the ATC in the game because it's does not let me follow the path that I select in FMC, I just pretend like I am flying VOR or get in the air and then cancel IFR if the weather is bad. So, before take off, I set a runway up in FMC. I follow that path (or usually just let autopilot do it) and then either land myself or use autoland. Problem comes when I contact the tower and they tell me a different runway that I set in FMC. That toally messes up autoland and depending on where I am, I need to go around to do a manual landing. So, what is a way around this, to be able to select the correct runway and know it ahead of time?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I have the same basic question to, though I don't have an aircraft that concerns to it yet, though soon I plan to pick up a plane with FMC and to setup the proper STAR on the FMC before you even take off you have to set the runway for landing.

I currently use the standard ATC but I have Radar Contact 4 coming soon.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Real world...pick up the destination airport ATIS which gives you the runway in use at your destination. Do this prior to descent where possible so you can plan when you need to start the descent as it will of course affect your profile.....this avoids a mad scramble and finding the relevant plates! Although that said runways can change between picking up the ATIS and landing....but as a pilot you are an expert meteorologist so know when the winds will change! 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

you are giving me some hard moments PH.... Neutral
Read
how long will it take until I'll start understand what are you saying...🤔

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Sorry what do you need me to explain.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

What we're talking about is BEFORE you take off you have to program the landing runway or the STAR into the FMC to setup the flight plan.

spuddi Guest

don't program the destination runway in to the flightplan before you set off.

just set the destination airport

then once your airbourne and get near the destination program the runway once you get given it by the ATC. Its what's done in real life. Pilots often have to make changes to the FMC as conditions change its what they get paid for

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Well said Spuddi!

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Thanks guys, I'll try that on my next flight later today or tomorrow.

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

what I meant PH is that you use proper, aviation language that I don't have any clue about. I know only the basic stuff from MikeRowSoft and I thought I know something, but when I hear you with all the shortcuts, definitions and proper answers, I say to myself, oh better shut up and start learning! Read 😕 But seriously I just am fully admiring you for the knowledge you have. You are a proper pilot, aren't you?

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

We are all proper pilots on here! 😉 Only difference is I have a little blue "book" saying JAR FCL commercial pilot license on the cover. We are all always learning.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...