Logbook error when exiting FS2004

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

Lately I have been encountering an error upon closing FS2004 that says the logbook file is invalid and must be re-created. It lists a file name that is just lines and characters and such. Is there a way to recreate the Standard Pilot Logbook?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't know if this will help, if not please post again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280390

2nd down.

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004utilities3.htm

To recreate something that has "gone wrong" in the Sim you have to delete it and reload the Sim over itself, it'll only add what's missing and will not duplicate anything else.

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

I was afraid that I would have to re-install the sim to fix it, but I was hoping someone else had an easier solution.

If I re-install, will I lose the add on aircraft, scenery, etc that I have downloaded or do I need to back up those folders and re-copy them after the re-install?

Thanks for the help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did you try to load the Sim over itself thereby not loosing anything.
If not, yes you can move the folders that you want to keep to another location "my briefcase" for example or just burn them if they're not to large.
I've already burned my gauge and effects folders, my aircraft is too large even for a DVD.

One of the big problems with reinstalling is that (at times) something that you don't want is always left in a "hidden" folder.

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

I have not tried reloading the sim yet. I guess I will have to save the folders first and then reload to see what it loses. At least it will be easier than starting from scratch and installing everything one at a time.

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

NEW UPDATE

I tried reloading the sim and it did not lose anything. It also did not fix the problem. I then backed up all my aircraft, add on scenery, etc directories and uninstalled the sim using the disk. This left behind a group of files and directories under the fs9 directory. I deleted the whole directory and all of the files and re-installed.

When I tried to re-set my settings in FS9, they were already there just like before I un-installed. This told me there was something else left somewhere. When I tried the sim again, the same problem occured.

I then remembered that there was another place where the program puts files.

c:\documents and settings\[user name]\application data\microsoft\fs9

In that folder is a file named fs9.cfg along with others. When I opened the file in notepad, I found a parameter "log_file=A++++++++++++++++". I then deleted just the file name and left the "log_file=" then restarted the program.

After a short flight, I closed the program and the logbook worked normally. I then opened the cfg file again and the entry read "log_file=logbook" as it should. The old logbook file itself was intact and none of the prior information was lost.

If this problem occurs, the first thing to try is to open the cfg file and change this setting and re-try. It takes about 2 minutes to do and you don't need to re-install anything.

I did report this problem to Microsoft and they told me that they were able to reproduce the problem. Maybe they will find a fix soon.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👏 Fantastic ❗ You did a great job and I'm happy that it's working again.
I also want to thank you for telling us how to solve the problem should it come up for someone else.

👍

DanTanna Guest

Thanks BayouTalker! I've suddenly started having that same problem, same message. I tried editing the logbooks manually only to realize after reading your message that I was working on the old fs2000 logbooks in a different folder of my documents.

Found it, fixed it. Thanks again!
Dan.

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

YEAH!!! Big fat kudo to you!!!! Group Wave GROUP HUG!,, I mean, wave!!

I am glad it helped you out. I know I spent enough time finding the problem for all of us.

By the way, it has never happened to me again!

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

Sorry, that last post was me. I didn't realize that it did not log me in.

deleting file name in cfg works greats tks

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...