Can Not reach the north pole in fs2004/fs9

Pro Member Trainee
uni_max_zero Trainee

Hello is it me or the disk I have but last week I tried to fly over the north pole and all i could was reach the outer edge and it just would not go any further, have not tried to fly over the south poler region yet, I know in fs98 you could what happened in fs2004/fs9

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You know I'm not certain but I think that I read somewhere that they didn't put the North Pole into FS9 (don't tell Santa he won't bring BillG. any toys).

Yeah, I tried flying to the North Pole a few weeks ago, starting at Barrow, Alaska, and following a longitude line. At 89 degrees 30 minutes latitude, I came up against a "white wall." It looked like the ice pack, but it was vertical. The weird thing is that the plane stopped moving forward and remained airborne, but the airspeed indicator showed about 200 kias (in a KingAir 350). I could steer and translate side to side, but could not go forward. I was able to turn to the side and fly away from the wall, and return to Barrow.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Hmmm, I wonder about the south pole? 😕

Pro Member Trainee
ulmercdz Trainee

Yep. I got to 89* 30.000', and could see the wall, but could not fly north of that latitude. Just seemed to hang in midair.

Tried the same thing at the South Pole - same result, but wall was much smaller, and farther away. I was able to navigate laterally, and ended up at the opposite side of the pole, and started heading north.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

same with the South Pole

Number seven on the list

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Why did MS not include these locations, I don't suppose there are any airports there?? 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

Why did MS not include these locations...

Microsoft works in misterious ways Yes

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

pilotwannabe wrote:

Why did MS not include these locations...

Microsoft works in misterious ways Yes

Or they just couldn't be arsed 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

Why did MS not include these locations, I don't suppose there are any airports there?? 😀

The southest one...Base Marabio-SAWB-Antarctica

As you can see in the shot below too much cold has effect to FS graphics... 😀

I have not flown to the other side yet...(North Pole)... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Maybe they thought we'd never notice 😀

P.S GM you sure do love your Howard 500 😀 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

P.S GM you sure do love your Howard 500 😀 😀

Yes i do my friend... ❤️ I have some money to spend in FSPax after long time and long trying but i feel like a betrayer if i fly with something else 😂 😂 😂 ...At least for the moment... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

Well I’m sorry I think that’s dam right sad:
So for them who want to fly over the pole, you can’t:
Go away Microsoft:

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

simon123 wrote:

Well I’m sorry I think that’s dam right sad:
So for them who want to fly over the pole, you can’t:
Go away Microsoft:

Well you are right dear simon...But not a big deal..At the end we have all the rest world to fly... 😉

Maybe MS guys thing that the earth is still a rectangle. 😂 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

However much of the universe MS decide to include, I suppose human nature will mean people will always want to fly where they didn't map. 😀
I'm still waiting for deep ocean flying, lol. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

However much of the universe MS decide to include, I suppose human nature will mean people will always want to fly where they didn't map. 😀
I'm still waiting for deep ocean flying, lol. 😀

More than agree. Yes Yes Yes 👍 Human spirit cannot accept limits...
Deep ocean flying??? 😂 😂 😂
I dont know if MS is going to create a Submarine Simulator...Although its a great idea... Idea 😉 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/125000/125236FLnk_w.jpg

I know that probably is something interesting but unfortunately the link seems that didnt work for me... Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

There is a reason why we can't fly over the poles in fs9 or FS2002 for that matter. I remember reading an article concerning this issue when FS2002 was released -- can't seem to find it now. From memory it had something to do with longitudinal and latitudinal correctness or precision.
Let's be positive, who knows, we might be able to include the poles in our sightseeing tours in the upcoming FSX. Radar

Ryan F. Guest

Yeah.. I think it's an issue of accuracy. In FS9's simulation of earth, perhaps rounding it into a globe would A.) take up too much memory and/or B.) throw off everything else, as far as longitude/latitude accuracy goes.

This is an intruiging question tho.. because many long-range NY-Asia flights cross over the north pole as a "shortcut" .. i know this especially because my aunt and uncle just came back from a trip in Shanghai. They flew in an A340 from NYC direct to Shanghai. They have pictures of the miles of frozen tundra they flew over.

Guest Ed Guest

There is a link on the fsinsider page that I read a few days ago about how aircraft motion and geographical location are calculated in flight sims. One of their first assumptions about geography is that world is flat. That makes the math a lot easier and therefore faster.

That means that the "map" is going to get seriously distorted in some parts of the world, so of course they put those distorted regions where the fewest number of people are going to travel, as map makers have done for hundreds of years.

With that logic, the most distorted locations would have to be the poles. What is actually a point on the sphere (the pole) gets stretched out into a line as long as the equator. I think that rather than try to map such a distorted area, where there is nothing to see and no airports, they just leave it out.

To see how distorted geography is in the polar regions, create a flight that should pass over one of the poles. Start from a location in the western hemisphere (say, Puntas Arenas, Chile), and find a point 180 degrees away (anywhere in southwestern Australia) and let the AP try to get you there. To really see it, turn up the simulation rate to 16X and watch your progress on the GPS display. Your aircraft will do some very strange things trying to fly that great circle route. What would be a straight on a real globe looks like a big shallow "U."

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...