ADF Help!

Pro Member Trainee
X_MAN Trainee

I'm looking at the Atlanta sectional and I have spoted several NDBs and several AM commercial broadcast stations nearby but when I tune my ADF to any of the stations (while in parking area) I don't hear the morse code, nor does the needle move. I have made sure the ADF light is lit on the radio tree when as I do this - is there something I'm missing?

I know the VOR only works when I'm airborne (line of sight) and I hear morse code when I select the correct radio (nav1 or nav 2) - this shouldn't be the case with ADF correct - all I should do is set the NDB in the ADF radio and select AND to hear morse code - correct?

Please Help - thanks in advance

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
X_MAN Trainee

bump

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sorry,
I'm not good enough to answer that for you, wait for TTT or Flyaway, they will be here in 5 or 6 hours.
Embarassed

Pro Member Trainee
X_MAN Trainee

🙂 that's OK - your reply made me feel I wasn't a red headed step child 🙂 - I can wait - thanks for the reply

Pro Member Trainee
Blazin21 Trainee

Well won't give you a full answer though i probably could if i wasn't running off of 4hrs of sleep and just worked a 16hr day at my other job, but things can interfere with the ADF which is why it is being phased out thank goodness.

Anyway besides the point. There might be stuff between you and the ADF(mountains and such not really sure of the area your in) but tipicly depending on the disance things between you and the station you might not get it at all and sometimes you may I seen it happen both ways. TO be honest I have flown IFR many many times(RL) and I have never once gotten a NDB approach or relied on a ADF they are just to unreliable and well i live in cali and there is only 2 in my area anyway. Wish I could have given you a better answer maybe tommorow when i am awake...lol🙂

Pro Member Trainee
X_MAN Trainee

Thanks Blazin21, get you some ZZZs my friend - I'm in no hurry 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Thanks Radar 🍅
Read Umm... Read
I've tried the Atlanta airport but seem to end up in a forest??

Have you added any scenery?

Where are you getting your info from for the AM stations?

Sorry for all the questions but .............Im a bit lost here Read

I will not be back tonight but will check how and what tomorrow

That old British custom of pub games 🍻 tonight Whistle

Pro Member Trainee
X_MAN Trainee

I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong - I was hoping someone could walk me through how to input NDBs into the radio stack. I have mastered the VOR it's just the ADF that's kicking my butt.

If there are any NDBs you can pick up in FS2004, can you walk me through the process of intering the frequency into the radio stack and how to listen to the morse code - thanks

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

There are "tons" of NDB stations on the sectional charts. Thus far I have found that ALL of them are useable for navigation.

NDB stations transmit on frequencies LOWER than the standard AM broadcast band. AM broadcast signals do not travel far, especially during the daylight hours. If you are not picking them up then you are not close enough to them. Also, NDB stations are LOW power stations, thus the signal range is reduced some more.

Tune your ADF radio to the NDB frequency and when you get close enough to the station the ADF needle will "come alive" and point to the station. At that time you should also be able to hear the Morse code.

I have not yet had any success tuning in the AM broadcast stations shown on the sectional charts. Perhaps Microsoft did not program the AM stations into the flight sim. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Paiute wrote:

Tune your ADF radio to the NDB frequency and when you get close enough to the station the ADF needle will "come alive" and point to the station. At that time you should also be able to hear the Morse code.

Paiute's right - good explanation. Just wanted to mention that you won't hear the Morse code unless you select ADF from the row of little buttons along the top (or bottom, depending on the aircraft) of the radio stack. You can (and should) also select NAV1 or NAV2 from this row of buttons to listen to the Morse identifier for a properly tuned VOR for the purpose of insuring that you have the correct VOR tuned.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Hi again

I found this link which should help ➡

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Paiute 👍 seems to be on the right wavelength(no pun intended)

Hope it helps

TTT

Pro Member Trainee
X_MAN Trainee

Thank you so very much! It was a distance issue! I was never in the air when I tried the NDB, even figured out the RMI 🙂 with NAV 1 - I love this forum - you guys rock

tomthetank can I have your baby? 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

X_MAN wrote:

tomthetank can I have your baby? 😉

🤔 Might be the best offer Ive had today ❤️

I know this has been answered already, but, I was thinking distance/altitude issue.

According to: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ndb-nav-adf-1.htm?

The aircraft's altitude is too low (reception is generally reliable at and above 1000 ft AGL).

Everytime I dial in an NDB frequency, I have always had to take off, and climb to at least 1000 feet. Even from very close airports, such as KCPS which is Cahokia/St. Louis Downtown and KSTL Lambert Intl which is like 14 nm I think.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...