Westland Lysander

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Has anybody come across a download of this rather interesting STOL aircraft that was produced for the RAF prior to WW2? I've looked everywhere I know and ..... nothing.

It was designed for "army co-operation" but its slow speed made it rather easy to shoot down and thereafter it was used to fly resistance personnel in/out of Northern France.

It is the first aircraft I ever saw and was at an airshow at Manchester Ringway (as it was) in 1939 - the pilot's demonstration was flown far too slowly and he had a fatal crash in front of his dismayed audience.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Have a look at this page and you'll find that Alphasim seems to have a payware version. I had a look, couldn't find it, but you might be luckier than I.
However, in their freeware section under RAF/RN at the very bottom of the list is a 'Westland Scout&Wasp'. I don't know if this would be of any interest to you.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks for your reply. The Scout and Wasp are both small helicopters and I'm not sure that they aren't one and the same thing, the first as an Army version and the second Navy. I'll have a look at them anyway as they could still be of interest.

The Lysander is a fixed wing/landing gear aircraft with a very high wing location, it also has a radial engine (either a Bristol Mercury XX or XXX) and is a 2-seater, with the pilot occupying an amazingly open seat to give him maximum view out. Several are in preservation in Canada and the UK in airworthy condition. I don't know where they are located.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

There is a G-max model for FS2002 at flightsim.com. Iwouldn't hesitate to try it in fs9 - shouldn't do any harm. If it doesn't fly as well as expected, you might try tweaking a bit.
Some FS2002 models work surprisingly well in fs9. The filename is lysandr3.zip

FS2002 Westland Lysander Mk III. The Lysander prototype first flew in June 1936. It was designed for liaison and army cooperation. By 1942, 1425 were produced by Westland and 325 were built in Canada by National Steel Car. The Mk III carried an auxiliary fuel tank which gave it eight hours endurance for clandestine operations. This FS2002 Gmax model is equipped for night flying and is stable and pleasant to fly. By Ted Simko.

See how you go Aldeeb Idea

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks Tailhook, I'll have a look at that one.

Do you ever get any problems with the retraction and redeployment of the landing gear?

I have a downloaded Piper Navajo that retracts ok but only the nosewheel comes down when "G" is pressed.

A YAK goes up on "G" but won't stay up, so probably something wrong somewhere.

I wonder if it could be in the file inside "Model" which I don't know the software program to have a looksee for anything unusual.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I can't recall having ever encountered that problem.

I am only guessing - not being sure wether this is part of the .mdl or .cfg file.

If it's part of the .cfg, I would be looking under [electrical] -example:

[electrical]
;BusType, MaxAmpLoad, MinVoltage BusTypes:0=MainBus,1=AvionicsBus,2=BatteryBus,3=HotBatteryBus,4-7=Generator/AlternatorBus(1-4)
flap_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0
gear_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0
autopilot = 0, 5 , 17.0
avionics_bus = 0, 5 , 17.0
avionics = 1, 5 , 17.0
pitot_heat = 0, 2 , 17.0
additional_system = 0, 2 , 17.0
marker_beacon = 1, 2 , 17.0
gear_warning = 0, 2 , 17.0
fuel_pump = 0, 5 , 17.0
starter1 = 0, 20, 17.0
light_nav = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_beacon = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_landing = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_taxi = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_strobe = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_panel = 0, 5 , 17.0

This is straight out of the default c172. Remember , I'm only guessing.

The a/c you're having problems with, were they authored for FS2002 or fs9? Sometimes updates aren't as complete as they could be.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...