Question about .xml and .bmp files

Pro Member Trainee
TRUT Trainee

HI there ! another newbie question from me 😀

Sometimes when I have downloaded an aircraft, it comes with the files .xml and .bmp zipped together. Where does theese files go, in the
panel folder of the aircraft or in the autogen folder ?...Or somewhere else ? 🙄

exsamples:

airspeed.xml
airspeed_background_generic.bmp
altimeter.xml
altimeter_background.bmp

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The folder that they are in should be put wherever the read-me for that particular aircraft tell you.
They sound like textures (and gauges) so they would stay with the rest of the craft and be loaded into the "aircraft folder".
But...if you just download a texture file for a particular aircraft that's a different story.
Let us know if you are doing that and we'll give you further instructions on how to add new textures to an existing (usually default) aircraft.

Pro Member Trainee
TRUT Trainee

thanks for the quick response Radarman 😉

Just to make it a bit easier for You to help me I have found an exsample.

In the fs2004 civil jets download section on this page there is a fairchild c119, which have a zipped file inside the gauges folder named c119.cab.
It contain the files .xml and .bmp. I guess they should be unzipped in the gauges folder which contain the .gau files. Or should it be unzipped in the aircrafts panel folder ?...Or just unzip it in the aircraft folder of the c119.

I don't have a clue where to put them.. Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I just downloaded it, but didn't install it.
Put the "C119" folder in aircraft and open the "effects" folder and put it into the Sims "effects" folder.
Leave the gauges (zipped) where they are.
If the aircraft should show up without any gauges then add them (zipped) to the gauge folder in the Sim. If they should still not show up then go back and unzip them into the gauge folder.
My guess they should remain zipped in the aircraft folder.
Why didn't he put a read-me in there, strange.
Dump the two jepg's.
If you still have problems p[ost them and I'll load the craft.
Lunch time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro Member Trainee
TRUT Trainee

oups Embarassed

it was in the fs2004 military aircraft folder, the Fairchild c119 was.

Pro Member Trainee
TRUT Trainee

Thanks Radarman !

I will try and do as You say, If I figure out what the .xml and .bmp files does I will post it here.

Hmm...Lunch time ?

Ooh, its a different timezone 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

TRUT wrote:

Thanks Radarman !

I will try and do as You say, If I figure out what the .xml and .bmp files does I will post it here.

Hmm...Lunch time ?

Leave them in the folders that they are in now.
At least 8 hours different, maybe 8½ ROFL

Pro Member Trainee
deKoven Trainee

TRUT wrote:

Thanks Radarman !

Hmm...Lunch time ?

That .cab file is a standard "zipped" gauge file. MOVE it to \gauges and don't mess with what's inside. You'll see a great many of these files as you DL more planes. The .xml file is the newest method of creating gauges. You would need an xml editor to actually look at how it's put together. The .bmp file is another, older, type gauge.

Pro Member Trainee
TRUT Trainee

Thanks for the info about the files deKoven !

I just love the support on this site, from the siteadmins and the members.

Hope I can return it some day ( when I get a bit more familiar with FS ). 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...