Defrag?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Hi,

I here people defrag their hardrive etc...

What does this do for me and how do I do it?

Thanks 😉

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scandisk and defrag once a week and your system will run faster and your favorite programs will load sooner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defrag

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

SteveT wrote:

Hi,

I here people defrag their hardrive etc...

What does this do for me and how do I do it?

Thanks 😉

Defragging your hard drive simply means moving the files an application uses closer together physically on the HDD. Access time is improved because the heads don't have to move as far. Scandisk checks your HDD for errors and tries to repair them, if configured to. Running these utilities once a week will probably not show you any difference. Most IT professionals will recomment once a month and even that is probably excessive for most home users. On the othe hand you can schedule them to run in the middle of the night when you are probably in bed so it may not hurt to run them once a week either.

Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

the default windows defragger is ok but I would highly recommend using Norton Systom works or something similar. They do a much better job than the one that come with windows. (if you use windows)

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I've read lots that it is also good to defrag both before and after install large scenery addons (photoreal, VOZ etc) as it puts all the textures in the right place rather than having to find them from various locations when loading.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...