Hard landing

Hello 😀 how do prevent a hard landing happening cos im making a lot of those lol 😀 😀

Answers 27 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

1) Make sure your speed is correct (Vref) or you will have a hard landing. Telling us what aircraft you are flying might be a help.

2) Don't cut power too early or you will drop quickly and hit the runway hard.

3) Don't flare too early or you will lose too much lift and your VSI will drop

4) Don't flare too much or the same will happen

If you are more specific, you will get some more specific answers 😉

what does flare mean?

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Flare is the final stage of a flight when the pilot idles the throttles and raises the nose 2-5 degrees to make sure the main gear touches down first 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

what speed should you make a landing at? 190knts?

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

it depends on aircraft, be more specific!

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

what does flare mean?

You flare right before touchdown to bleed off airspeed and slow your rate of descent. You pull the nose up slightly from it's descent attitude about 10-15 ft off the ground. Your goal is to stall the plane just as the wheels touch the runway.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Normally at 1.3 times the stall speed(depends on weight).

Ballpark numbers:

B737- 140 KIAS
B747- 160 KIAS (mid weight)
B777- 157 KIAS
🙂

The aircraft is A321 211 sorry didnt post it

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Weight?

PH wrote:

Weight?

28576kg

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

hmmm 150 should do it id say

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

nah, you can take it to 140for sure!

also at that weight, don't idle the throttle until you are about 10ft off the tarmac. you should never land a heavy plane at no throttle - you'll drop like a brick.

Pro Member Chief Captain

http://webpages.charter.net/anw/ANW/performance.html

Yes, I'd say between 137 and 145kts. That link might be of some use to a few people. Its a bit limited though.

PS: Could anybody tell me the name of the piece played in the above post?

Thanks Guys will check if i can land properly now lol, Thanks Again 😀

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Guys will check if i can land properly now lol, Thanks Again 😀

I thought I'd add this. I haven't had FS2004 very long and have flown the prop GA aircraft exclusively. I don't have an AirBus but I did some touch and go at Kennedy in the default 777. Here is what I noticed: It has a tremedous amount of power that is not instantaneously available. Even with gear and flaps down it is very easy to go too fast. Conversely, when your airspeed starts to drop you need to address it right away since you are going to have to wait some for the power. The aircraft is very ponderous and heavy. It flies well but all control inputs have to be deliberate and results occur after a pause. The main thing I learned this afternoon is you have to stay ahead of the plane or at least right on top of it. I never crashed but I did come close to using all of the runway before I put it down. Good luck. I hope this helps some. I'm going to go fly my nimble little Bonanza now.

TimTim Guest

The key to good landings in heavies is power

Its alright to approach a runway on short final on idle power in a Cessna, but its very unacceptable, in fact unheard of in a heavy

Descent at about -700ft/m to -800ft/m to keep on glideslope (this only applies for standard glideslopes, not all are simple like that).

There is no defintite figure to have your engine on on descent, just keep it on whatever will follow this gildeslope at a good speed

Where you cut throttle is essential for a nice landing. There are markings on the runway, at the beginning there is usually 3 strokes each side, then a white square each side, then 2 x 2 strokes each side after. Touching down you are aiming for that filled in box. Cut throttle where the runway begins (I am not talking about the displaced threshold, cut it where the displaced threshold ends)

Slowly flare up at about when you are 15ft above ground level (AGL) (and if you done the approach correctly this should be when you cut power at the beginning of the runway). Flare up as much as necessary to slow your rate of descent to about -100ft/min (I know its harsh, but aiming high is good). Do not flare up past 7 degrees pitch up, you will more than likely scrape the tail, which damages your airplane.

When you touch down, do not be tempted to relax all pressure, its not over yet. Do not let the front wheels just fall down (which will happen naturally, as the force of the ground against the airplanes descent will knock it like this). Apply a small bit of back pressure to lower the nose gear down gently (applying too much will make the plane to a wheelie along the runway, and the front gears wont come down until the plane does not have adequate speed to hold it, and it will come crashing down with tremendous speed which damages the plane also)

Do not apply reverse thrust until the front gears are down of just about to come down, applying them as soon as you touch down will make the nose gear want to come down even faster

Hope this helps!!

TimTim

what is glideslopes?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

Have you read that?

Probably wouldn't hurt to do the ILS landing lessons in FS9 either.

Sometimes...i mean probably only 2/10 i fail to land. I capture the glideslope and follow it manually but then i start to lose it and become slightly too low, i then trim up a lot and nothing happens except the nose pitches up and i end up falling towards the floor with my nose in the air even though im not in a stall. I have tried to increase power but then i just start climbing again. what on earth is going on here when normally i touch down perfectly.

Pro Member Chief Captain

The key to a good approach is to make very small adjustments in terms of trim, power, flaps, control surface movement etc etc.

When you are falling slightly below the glideslope, don't trim your elevators their entire length and add full power because you will ascend at around 2000fpm. Make small movements in your trim and add a few percent more power. It won't take effect straight away, but give it a few seconds, and it should take effect. If not, then add slightly more power until it takes effect and you get back on the glideslope again. The idea being that, if you make small movements on approach, you will never have to make drastic movements and won't be a long distance from the glideslope 😉

how can you tell whether you are on the glideslope?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Read this post - it will tell you everything you need to know about glideslopes and instrument approaches:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

😉

thanks a lot, off for a flight now and will tell you of my results this time. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/anw/ANW/performance.html

Yes, I'd say between 137 and 145kts. That link might be of some use to a few people. Its a bit limited though.

PS: Could anybody tell me the name of the piece played in the above post?

Theme song of the movie Chariots of Fire (1981), the music won an Academy award.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_Fire
🙂

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hello 😀 how do prevent a hard landing happening cos im making a lot of those lol 😀 😀

Well i learn to land smoothly using the FS9 training.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...