Landing 737's

Gupta Guest

I am great at flying the 737 now and great at the approach landing but i always seem to land on the runway a bit hard...for instance with FS passenger, the co-pilot says 'hard landing captain hope we have a solid landing gear' or something like that, for my landing i do the following:

flaps between 15-30
spoiler armed
landing gear down
landing light on
Autobrake 1-2 depending on length of runway
lined up with the localizer
on the correct glideslope
N1 around 50%

Crossing the threshold i reduce power to idle and pitch up 2degrees but it always seems to be a hard landing...how can i do a smooth landing..

many thanks 😳

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

What speed are you coming in at? The two things I saw were the flaps should be 40 degrees, and your final touchdown pitch should be between 3.5-4.5 degrees...and I usually approach at 144-147 and try to touch down about 135.

Also, the 737 doesn't need a lot of runway to land, so don't worry about hitting the numbers at first, just make sure your VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator) is 300 ft/min or less as you're touching down.

Goodluck.

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

First of all, always use flaps on 40°! Never go below that, unless you have strong nose or x-wind or you are very light, you may switch to 30° or sometimes to 25°. That is the first reason to land hard on the runway I think.
Second of all, you might be too slow during approach. You fly on throttle (N2 depends on weight, might be 60-70%) that allows your nose be exact on the same level as horizont, If you can barely see the ground and runway, you are too slow, if you only see the ground and no sky, you are too fast. The plane has to be horizontal, look sometimes at the real landing from www.flightlevel350.com. They are straight during landing almost as an arrow. Ok, your speed is ok, flaps on 40°, spoilers armed, autobrake on 1-3 (I barely use them, unless it's 747,777 or 767 fully loaded), you are passing threshold (beginning of the runway) you are about 50ft above runway. Put throttle on idle, glide like this until the system will tell you '20, REtard, Retard!' then pull your nose up and wait for '10' then BAM!(main gear touched down).......bam.(nose gear touched down as well) and you are on the ground. Spoilers are already on after touching with the main gear, deploy reverse thrust and brakes should go as well. Wait until you'll slow down till 60knts, release reverse throttle, put it on idle, leave the spoilers and brakes until app. 30knts. Release brakes, turn next taxi way, contact ground and deploy your flaps to 0°. That is it!

as i set flaps, the nose pitches up and then i lose grip of the glideslope so setting flaps to 40 would send me on a positive rate of climb!! Surprised

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

you are talking about some very weird things. First if you set your plane for 40° flaps and the nose goes up it means your speed is too low and you need it too speed up. If you are on 40°and your nose goes up, belive me, you will never have positive rate of climb, unless you go ober 280knts or something. Do you agree if I save you my approach and then send you the file to your @ so that you could see how am I doing this?

yes please! send it to wackywarrington@btinternet.com 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

ok ,give me a minute, I'm gonna take default 737-400 and land it.. let us say KLAX? clear sky etc, calm wind, let us do autopilot approach, so that you can see flaps, spoilers, speed and decent ratio correctly. Hope it'll work, FS9 doesn't help me very much recently... Hack

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

A couple of pointers.
To avoid "ballooning" you need to be stabilised early in the approach, as the GS comes alive (after established LOC) take your gear and select flap 15, then as speed decays take up to flap 30 on schedule. Personally I do not think it is necessary to "always" take flap 40...30 will do as will autobrake 1.
Maintain a constant airspeed and descent rate.
Initiate the flare when about 15ft above the runway by increasing pitch to about 3* This will slow the rate of descent. Important point on jets like the 737 is that when you cut power you need to check ROD, likewise when you apply power you need to apply slight foward pressure to avoid the nose pitching up.
Immediately after the flare (or I was trained in the 752 to do this simultaneously) bring power back to idle remembering once you cut power the nose will drop. Attitude for touchdown is about 5* (4-6) if the airspeed is maintained to Vref + gust correction.
When learning in a Cessna my biggest problem was the landing..approach was always spot on but the last 5-10 feet...BANG! It was not until I transferred my view from where I was looking to land to the end of the runway during flare ie on approach (visual) keep an eye on where you intend to land TDZ/numbers etc then as you cross the threshold extend view to the end of the RW this helps in controlling pitch attitude during the flare.
Hope this helps a little.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

In addition to the above....just been reading the selection of flap 40* and getting a ROC. I tend to think, contrary to Sico, that you may be going too fast when selecting flap 40. Always extend flaps when at the correct speed.

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

ok man, I've sent you the file with my replay, it isn't the best and I think it won't show flaps deploying, don't ask me why, this replay crap-system on FS9 is the last that doesn't work. Just tell me if you see anything, if not, I'll try to do something else. Does anyone know any software that records every picture and motion on the display, something like sound registrator but for screen? Idea

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Good pointers above as given by PH. A couple of observations.

FLY the plane onto the runway, don't DROP it. Remember, that even in the final stage of landing (right before touchdown) you are flying the plane, not trying to "drop it softly to the ground". This means, control the same things you always control: Power, Pitch, Trim.

Do NOT use flaps 40 unless you are coming to land in some weird configuration (too fast for example). Flaps 30 is the standard for most normal landings.

Don't configure the plane for landing 300 feet above the runway. As you turn for the final approach, in general you'll have gear down and flaps near landing-configuration. This way you have time to trim the aircraft for the new condition of power and pitch. This way you'll glide on the glideslope.

If you are truly descending on the glideslope without adjusting pitch and trim all the time (meaning you use only power to control the descent), then all you need to do is cut power to idle when appropriate (depends on aircraft type, but usually between 15 and 40 feet over the runway) and flare - as mentioned above - about 3 degrees nose up (for the 737). The vertical speed will drop nicely and you will land somewhere between 50ish and 300 fpm, which is quite fine.

Practise and good luck!

Gupta Guest

thanks a lot people for all your tips. Unfortunately sico your flight video didnt work on any video playback program on my computer. I am only 15 years old and with having GCSE to concentrate on as well, being able to fly and land (almost perfectly now) is quite an achievement since december. Before december i had never ever had any idea of how to fly a plane but now its looking good so thanks very much and im now going to have another quick flight. 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...