To rumble or not to rumble ...... and who with.

Pro Member Trainee
Cornish_Celt Trainee

Hi Folks, I am as new to serious flight simulators (FS 2004) as ....... a person that is new to serious flight simulators! Smile

Controllers ..... I have lived with Microsoft Sidewinder offerings for some years now, to play games etc, but feel an upgrade is needed to at least give me on-stick throttle and rudder. I TEND to use the stick only for direction and these other two facilites, and the keyboard for the rest (my thumbs aren't as supple as they were!).

With this in mind, and liking the clutter-free layout of the Force Feedback 2, along with the 'heavy' feel ..... would it be a good gamble? I think that any FS is only as good as the controller but feel a little nervous of the look of the Saitek offering (I don't need 20 buttons!!!).

Any opinions or warnings? (I know the Microsoft one costs more so don't bother with that bit OK).

Final thing ..... is having the force feedback a GOOD thing or just a bit of a pain, in which case I will get a similar model (with throttle etc) but without all the rumble. Do modern flight controllers in fly-by-wire aircraft 'rumble'?

All views welcome, but not too many 'mine is better than yours' stuff OK Smile

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I use the MS SideWinder Precision 2 USB stick.
I don't bother with the buttons on the base, for those controls I use the keyboard. I can lift off, fly, bank, climb and land without touching the keyboard. It also has a throttle and the trigger is the brake release. If I wanted I would key a button on it for raising and lowering my landing gear but "G" is too easy to push for that.
FF, I don't see the point that's why I opted for the non FF.
If I were to change I would go a yoke and pedals, too much $ right now.
When you first load the sim a video came up and it showed you how to use a joystick, that's the one I'm using.
Good luck with whatever you choose and above all...enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Cornish_Celt Trainee

Thanks for that Smile

A few weeks down the road and I am still thinking !!

I will try and get to PC World. They are a little dire for most things but DO have a good range of sticks that you can get your hands on to try.

I'll let you know what I get and what I think of it.

Thanks again.

Dave

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your best bet is to try out a few to see which you are comfortable with, to have a shop that lets you do it is great.
Good luck and be hearing from you.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...