Aircraft Causing Global Warming!

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Reuters:

Cutting the number of flights that take off at night could help to reduce the contribution of aviation to global warming, researchers said on Wednesday.

Night flights contribute to climate change because the white streaks of condensation, or contrails, left behind by jets trap energy emitted from the Earth's surface.

Daytime flights have less impact because contrails also reflect some of the sun's energy back into space which has a cooling effect.

"It you wanted to minimise the contrail climate effect you might want to think about rescheduling flights," Dr Nicola Stuber of Reading University said in an interview.

The researchers discovered that although only about 25 percent of flights in Britain take off between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., they account for 60-80 percent of global warming linked with contrails.

On the east coast of the United States the 36 percent of flights that take off at night account for 53 percent of the annual warming due to contrails. In southeast Asia, which had slightly fewer late flights, the percentage is about 70.

"Night flights contribute disproportionately to the daily mean effect of contrails," said Stuber.

Although the overall effect of contrails on climate change is small, about 3.5 percent of the potential from all human causes, the scientists warned it could gain importance as the volume of air traffic increases.

Stuber and her team used a computer programme to analyse flight data and atmospheric conditions to determine when contrails are most likely to form and what impact they would have on the Earth's temperature.

They found that, in addition to night travel, flights during the winter months account for half of the annual warming from contrails.

"So you get half of the climate warming effects from flights during one quarter of the year," said Stuber, who reported the findings in the journal Nature.

Although there are fewer flights during the winter months, the conditions needed to form contrails - the right temperature, amount of moisture in the air and aircraft altitude - are found more often.

"If you have all these conditions, you will have formation of persistent contrails. The effect of these conditions is larger than the effects of the air traffic," Stuber said.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Interesting infos Cheeky 👍

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Now we know that aircraft are not the only ones who contaminates the planet, scientist are more concerned in Automoviles, and Factories, ships.
If i am not wrong aircraft are on the bottom of the list. 😕
🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Very interesting Cheeky 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

oh dear, imagine the tiny amount of area plane trails actually cover!

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer
Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

Everything else has been said to be contributing to global warming,planes must be next on the "GREEN" hit list. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol that's hilarious..

while they are at it..

BAN CLOUDS AT NIGHT!!!!!

I also don't think that flights taking off from Britain at night would contribute to 60 - 80 % of the contrail related global warming considering how many more flights operate in the US at night...

"88.8% of statistics are made up on the spot" - Spike Milligan RIP

Last edited by Insight on Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain

violentviolet wrote:

Everything else has been said to be contributing to global warming,planes must be next on the "GREEN" hit list. 🙄

Exactly....the other day I read about somebody who believed the answer to global warming was less exercise ❗ ❗ She thought reducing the amount of CO2 we breathe out would save the world 🙄

Pro Member First Officer

pilotwannabe wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

Exactly....the other day I read about somebody who believed the answer to global warming was less exercise ❗ ❗ She thought reducing the amount of CO2 we breathe out would save the world 🙄

I think most of the dangerous gases are coming out of that womans arse. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

violentviolet wrote:

pilotwannabe wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

ROFL ROFL

Pro Member Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

pilotwannabe wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

ROFL ROFL

I think you know what you are talking about, am i wrong?, 😀

Pro Member First Officer

Oberkomando wrote:

pilotwannabe wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

pilotwannabe wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

ROFL ROFL

I think you know what you are talking about, am i wrong?, 😀

Your thinking is correct. ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

bring on hydrogen power 🙂

Pro Member Captain

Or magnetic propulsion as the so called "Avril project" back in WW2...
😀

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Just for the record, I never said I agreed with the report I posted, I don't really have an opinion about G.W. but thought I would show it here as it looked interesting 😉

I think most of the dangerous gases are coming out of that womans arse

ROFL I'd love to see a new reporter investigating that, hahaha!

bring on hydrogen power

In Iceland they have hydrogen powered bus' don't they hinch?

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

I don't believe in Global Warming...

...that said, I own stock in Advanced Battery out of Tokyo, hoping that they replace EVERY bus in Japan with electric.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...