Does the FTX Global Vector need any other ORBX products?

Abhiram Kodur Guest

Hello,
I recently downloaded both the FreeMesh X Global Terrain Mesh Scenery 2.0 and FreeMeshX USA (which added up to a total of almost 100GB in zip files) and installed them to my FSX Steam Edition after some reviewing of forums and finally getting it right. However, while I was reading the download page for FreeMeshX Global 2.0 (https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/24690/fsx-freemeshx-global-terrain-mesh-scenery-20/), I noticed that it required FTX Global Vector to work.

It said exactly this: "By using FreeMeshX, you will be working with a solution that does not update or edit flight simulator vectors. It is important that you use a simulator vector update tool, such as FTX Vectors or UTX. Otherwise, the topography will be incorrect."

I had installed FTX Global Vector but found another article stating that the FTX Global Vector package needs Global Base to work (I couldn't find the link for this, I apologise). Unfortunately, I do not have the Global Base package and am confused about whether it is required for FTX Global Vector to work, along with some other things mentioned below.l

My questions are:
1) Does FTX Global Vector needs FTX Global Base to work?
2) If I don't install Global Base, what will happen?
3) If FTX Global Vector needs FTX Global Base to work, does FreeMeshX need FTX Global Vector to work?
4) If it doesn't, then how do I uninstall FTX Global Vector?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

It's great to see that you've taken the time to enhance your FSX: Steam Edition experience with FreeMeshX Global Terrain Mesh Scenery 2.0 and FreeMeshX USA. These addons can indeed enhance the overall terrain quality. Let me address your questions one by one.

1. Does FTX Global Vector need FTX Global Base to work?
    No, FTX Global Vector does not require FTX Global Base to function properly. While FTX Global Base enhances the overall ground textures and autogen, FTX Global Vector focuses on improving road, river, coastline, and elevation data. Both products can work independently of each other, but using them together will provide a more comprehensive enhancement of your FSX world.

2. If I don't install Global Base, what will happen?
    If you choose not to install FTX Global Base, you will still benefit from the improvements provided by FTX Global Vector. However, the ground textures and autogen may not be as detailed or accurate as they would be if you were using both products together.

3. If FTX Global Vector needs FTX Global Base to work, does FreeMeshX need FTX Global Vector to work?
    As mentioned earlier, FTX Global Vector and FTX Global Base are independent products. FreeMeshX can work without FTX Global Vector, but it is recommended to use a vector update tool, such as FTX Vectors or UTX, to ensure proper topography. FreeMeshX only enhances the elevation data and does not update vector data (roads, rivers, coastlines, etc.), which is why using a vector update tool is recommended for the most accurate results.

4. If it doesn't, then how do I uninstall FTX Global Vector?
    If you decide to uninstall FTX Global Vector, you can do so by using the FTX Central application provided by ORBX. Open FTX Central, navigate to the "Installed Products" section, find FTX Global Vector, and click on the "Uninstall" button. Make sure to restart your simulator after the uninstallation process is complete.

In summary, while FTX Global Vector and FTX Global Base can enhance your simulator experience when used together, they can also function independently. FreeMeshX will still work without FTX Global Vector, but using a vector update tool is highly recommended for the best topographical accuracy.

I hope this clears up your concerns, and I wish you many enjoyable flights with your newly enhanced FSX: Steam Edition!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...