CFS3 and Saitek Cyborg 3D Force Stick

Pro Member Trainee
bluea3 Trainee

I am a new boy using Combat Flight Sim 3 and have a problem with controlling an aircraft using a Saitek Cyborg 3D Force Stick. The problem is that when pulling a tight turn, I find that with the stick fully back I can only turn a small amount. At this point, if I momentarily push the stick fully forward, and then immediately pull it back, I can then turn very tight! The same applies to a dive. I always check the calibration in the game before I start flying, so it is not calibration, or is it? I wonder if the problem is to do with trim? If so does anyone know how to permanently set a moderate amount of up elevator trim as the game starts up? I was given CFS2 to try the other day, and I found the same thing happened in this game.

I would appreciate comments from anyone using a Saitek Cyborg 3D Force Stick who is using the product as a Typical User, and also from anyone who might be using the Saitek Smart Technology Software (Advance User).

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

I have the exact same stick as you, handy. I know exactly what you mean, and this is because the stick we have is "auto-calibrating", which means it calibrates itself all the time working it out from the extremes it's moved in. Before every flight, I make sure I move the joystick in all directions as far as it goes, same for twisting rudder, and throttle controls. This seems to work for me. Let me know how you get on! 😉

Pro Member Trainee
bluea3 Trainee

Hi flyaway

Thanks for your prompt reply. You say "Before every flight, I make sure I move the joystick in all directions as far as it goes, same for twisting rudder, and throttle controls". At what point are you doing this? I have been dong this in the calibration screen each time I have started CFS3, however, this makes no difference. In the game I have to keep on pumping the joystick backwards and forwards. I then can get back to what I would call "full control". I then fly again for some minutes and have to go through the same procedure again. It does not make sense to me!

Regards

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

You're right, that does seem a bit extreme. What version of the Saitek drivers are you using, have you updated them recently? The latest drivers can be downloaded here:

Windows XP/2000:
ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/SD_WinNT_3_2_0_18master.exe

Windows ME:
ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/SD_Win9X_3_2_0_18master.exe

Let me know if this works, if not - we can try other things.

Pro Member Trainee
bluea3 Trainee

flyaway. Thanks for the information. I have downloaded the latest drivers, installed them and still have the same problem. I have decided to call it a day, as I am getting no enjoyment from the game using this joystick. As I am still within the 28 days at PC World I can get a full refund. I am going back to my old Microsoft Precision Pro.

Regards

DEY_Zebo_UK Guest

if you open the saitek programming software, scroll down to x and y axis, click the menu button for, examlpe x axis, then from the drop down list select bands, move the joystick so you see the green line move and the red line[this will be the limit of travel]adjust to the possition of the furthest throw[green line], tick the arrow above the window in which the bands are displayed, do the same for every axis, rudder and throttle, then select file, save as[i call mine bands set] name it what ever, then, make sure profile editor is running on you task bar, set your profile by right clicking the profile editor, and selecting the name you choose[ bands set] the saitek logo should then go green, and you will find it will self calibrate out stalls and other nasties as it self calibrates 😉 p.s, give it ten minuites and you'll be laughing, great stick 😂

Matt Jones Guest

Hi there,

Just wondered if any simmers out there are still using this stick? Bought one cheap off Ebay as I fancied seeing what ff was like on a budget but find the software for this item is just not really compatible with Windows 8. Could not celebrate force effects but the joystick did act as a normal stick be it very loose. On booting up FSX however did recognise it as a force stick and you feel the effects on ground but once in the air the stick for what ever reason yanks full tilt backwards. Anyone how any info or have I bought old junk?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Matt Jones wrote:

Hi there,

Just wondered if any simmers out there are still using this stick? Bought one cheap off Ebay as I fancied seeing what ff was like on a budget but find the software for this item is just not really compatible with Windows 8. Could not celebrate force effects but the joystick did act as a normal stick be it very loose. On booting up FSX however did recognise it as a force stick and you feel the effects on ground but once in the air the stick for what ever reason yanks full tilt backwards. Anyone how any info or have I bought old junk?

If none of these drivers work then you probably bought an old non working stick.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

Radar

Matt Jones Guest

Thanks for the reply. Worth a go before I realise I have wasted 40 bucks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Look at Amazon, you can pick up a good stick new for that money.
Read the 1 star reviews to see if all complaints have something in common.
Good luck!

Radar

Matt Jones Guest

Actually the forces still work in fsx. Ground rumble ect. Problem is when airborne the stick yanks back uncontrollably. I can go into fsx settings and turn off control surface force but that just leaves a lifeless stick in the air that does not centre. Will have a look for another stick.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Matt Jones wrote:

Actually the forces still work in fsx. Ground rumble ect. Problem is when airborne the stick yanks back uncontrollably. I can go into fsx settings and turn off control surface force but that just leaves a lifeless stick in the air that does not centre. Will have a look for another stick.

That's your best bet.
Good luck!

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...