Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

CFS3 and Saitek Cyborg 3D Force Stick

bluea3
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:15 am 

I am a new boy using Combat Flight Sim 3 and have a problem with controlling an aircraft using a Saitek Cyborg 3D Force Stick. The problem is that when pulling a tight turn, I find that with the stick fully back I can only turn a small amount. At this point, if I momentarily push the stick fully forward, and then immediately pull it back, I can then turn very tight! The same applies to a dive. I always check the calibration in the game before I start flying, so it is not calibration, or is it? I wonder if the problem is to do with trim? If so does anyone know how to permanently set a moderate amount of up elevator trim as the game starts up? I was given CFS2 to try the other day, and I found the same thing happened in this game.

I would appreciate comments from anyone using a Saitek Cyborg 3D Force Stick who is using the product as a Typical User, and also from anyone who might be using the Saitek Smart Technology Software (Advance User).
Flyaway
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:22 am 

I have the exact same stick as you, handy. I know exactly what you mean, and this is because the stick we have is "auto-calibrating", which means it calibrates itself all the time working it out from the extremes it's moved in. Before every flight, I make sure I move the joystick in all directions as far as it goes, same for twisting rudder, and throttle controls. This seems to work for me. Let me know how you get on! Wink
Fly Away Simulation, Flight Sim #1
bluea3
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:24 am 

Hi flyaway

Thanks for your prompt reply. You say "Before every flight, I make sure I move the joystick in all directions as far as it goes, same for twisting rudder, and throttle controls". At what point are you doing this? I have been dong this in the calibration screen each time I have started CFS3, however, this makes no difference. In the game I have to keep on pumping the joystick backwards and forwards. I then can get back to what I would call "full control". I then fly again for some minutes and have to go through the same procedure again. It does not make sense to me!

Regards
Flyaway
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:42 pm 

You're right, that does seem a bit extreme. What version of the Saitek drivers are you using, have you updated them recently? The latest drivers can be downloaded here:

Windows XP/2000:
ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/SD_WinNT_3_2_0_18master.exe

Windows ME:
ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/SD_Win9X_3_2_0_18master.exe

Let me know if this works, if not - we can try other things.
Fly Away Simulation, Flight Sim #1
bluea3
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:44 pm 

flyaway. Thanks for the information. I have downloaded the latest drivers, installed them and still have the same problem. I have decided to call it a day, as I am getting no enjoyment from the game using this joystick. As I am still within the 28 days at PC World I can get a full refund. I am going back to my old Microsoft Precision Pro.

Regards
DEY_Zebo_UK

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:49 pm 

if you open the saitek programming software, scroll down to x and y axis, click the menu button for, examlpe x axis, then from the drop down list select bands, move the joystick so you see the green line move and the red line[this will be the limit of travel]adjust to the possition of the furthest throw[green line], tick the arrow above the window in which the bands are displayed, do the same for every axis, rudder and throttle, then select file, save as[i call mine bands set] name it what ever, then, make sure profile editor is running on you task bar, set your profile by right clicking the profile editor, and selecting the name you choose[ bands set] the saitek logo should then go green, and you will find it will self calibrate out stalls and other nasties as it self calibrates Wink p.s, give it ten minuites and you'll be laughing, great stick Laughing
Matt Jones

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:05 pm 

Hi there,

Just wondered if any simmers out there are still using this stick? Bought one cheap off Ebay as I fancied seeing what ff was like on a budget but find the software for this item is just not really compatible with Windows 8. Could not celebrate force effects but the joystick did act as a normal stick be it very loose. On booting up FSX however did recognise it as a force stick and you feel the effects on ground but once in the air the stick for what ever reason yanks full tilt backwards. Anyone how any info or have I bought old junk?
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:46 pm 

Matt Jones wrote:
Hi there,

Just wondered if any simmers out there are still using this stick? Bought one cheap off Ebay as I fancied seeing what ff was like on a budget but find the software for this item is just not really compatible with Windows 8. Could not celebrate force effects but the joystick did act as a normal stick be it very loose. On booting up FSX however did recognise it as a force stick and you feel the effects on ground but once in the air the stick for what ever reason yanks full tilt backwards. Anyone how any info or have I bought old junk?

If none of these drivers work then you probably bought an old non working stick.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

Radar

Matt Jones

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:23 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Worth a go before I realise I have wasted 40 bucks.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:55 pm 

Look at Amazon, you can pick up a good stick new for that money.
Read the 1 star reviews to see if all complaints have something in common.
Good luck!

Radar

Matt Jones

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:19 pm 

Actually the forces still work in fsx. Ground rumble ect. Problem is when airborne the stick yanks back uncontrollably. I can go into fsx settings and turn off control surface force but that just leaves a lifeless stick in the air that does not centre. Will have a look for another stick.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:42 pm 

Matt Jones wrote:
Actually the forces still work in fsx. Ground rumble ect. Problem is when airborne the stick yanks back uncontrollably. I can go into fsx settings and turn off control surface force but that just leaves a lifeless stick in the air that does not centre. Will have a look for another stick.

That's your best bet.
Good luck!

Radar