Optimal graphics settings????

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Hi Pilots,

I have a P4, 3.2gig machine, ATI9600 128mb graphics card with 512mb ddrram400 but i still seem to get a low frame rate and some jerkyness!
I love my sim and would love to know if anyone uses very simalar specs and how they set their flight sim up etc. For example, screen res and all the other settings.

Cheers

Micah 😉

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

With a fast machine such as yours I would ad at least another 512mb of ram. Update your video card drivers.
I would say that if you turn down some of the settings that are the most damaging to the performance of the Sim you would get rid of the "slide show" that bothers you now. You probably see it more at the airport at takeoff than you do at high altitudes.
Set your FPS for 27-30,no more than that. Turn down the settings for traffic, clouds, shadows and a few of the other frame eaters.
Saying that I am giving you a link to Read that is just about the opposite of what I do.
Good luck and let us know how and what you do.
Enjoy! 👍

Radar

Thanks radar man,

Any idea where i can get the correct ram for my machine??

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Sorry, didn't log in! Prat! 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've never bought from them but many of my friends have.
Make sure that it the same as you have now, two different types (I don't mean brand) won't mix.
Your board is only made for one type.
You can use the search for your type in that search window on the front page, middle top.

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

This should tell you the type of ram you now have.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

do you know where i can get the updated drivers for my graphics card? (Radeon 9600 128mb) as ATI seem pretty useless on their site as it never specifies what card they will be compatible on!! Wall Bashing

Love the 2004 traffic add-on and want to make sure i can have as much as poss as makes the sim so much more realistic! 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you want, and your wallet and if motherboard allows go to 2 gigs.

As far as the drivers If you have XP you can use these. Follow the directions carefully.

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=8&submit.y=5

Good luck with it.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

The drivers are downloading as we speak, will let you know if they make much of a difference.
Thanks for your help. Any other tips would be gratefully received!!!

Micah (cpt) 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You'll see a quality difference with the latest drivers but the FPS rate increase will come from the combination of the extra ram and your card.
Don't forget your card isn't the fastest on the block any longer, neither is my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128.

Follow the directions to do a good cleaning job, getting rid of the old drivers.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Well, new ATI drivers didnt work, apparently because i am using a laptop, not a desktop. My laptop is a quaddra xt pro, its designed as a games machine. I think i have got the most up to date drivers for my card now. What do people reccommend within the display settings on your desktop, ie, graphics cards properties, do you set it for performance or quality???

Help this novice out!

Cheers guys 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

These are the settings that I'm using now. As far as the settings in the sim, set them for default and then start playing with them to see what looks good and how it impacts your FPS.
It seems that identical machines will need different settings because of background programs that are running, heat etc.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Well, i tried your settings radarman, and it was a dramatic improvement, looked so much sweeter. Took off from Gatwick and was getting frame rates in the air in the high 20's. Slowed down when i took off from heathrow as a lot of scenery to take in but was still pretty damn fine!
Thanks for your suggestions

Group Wave Group Wave Group Wave

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

just out of interst, what frame rate are you getting with your radeon card?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

About 18 at KSEA, but I have 100% traffic with Ultimate traffic and GA-Traffic. Many of my sliders are up also.
After I leave the airport area it hits 27 (my locked setting).

Good to hear that it helped.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

im hitting my locked frame rate of 30 quite often now, is it worth upping my locked limit or with that affect things adversly??

Man there is so much to do!!
😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your aircraft is flying nice and smooth, no slide show, stutters, jerking why go higher in you FPS. All that will do is take "power" away from the other parts of your sim
It may take longer for textures to render, ground scenery to show etc.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

I had a feeling that would be what you would say.
Well, il leave it alone and enjoy the views!!

Cheers

Micah 😛

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...