Baron 58

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I have flown the Baron 58 quite a lot and I like it, although it's cruise is 8-10 kts short of book. I can best about 192 kts at 4500' at 25 in.hg. I have also flown the Mooney Bravo. It is interesting to note that below roughly 7000' msl that the baron is faster than the mooney. I fully understand the dynamics as to why that is. By way maintaining high man. pressure the mooney out paces the baron above 8000'. I would like to know if there is an upgrade patch that would turbo normalize the baron. This is a little different from the mooney, which boosts the manifold pressure well above one atmosphere----38 in.hg., and cruises at anywhere from 30-34 in.hg. at alt.. Turbo normalizing generally does not go above 30 in.hg, however tur.norm. allows you to maintain cruise manifold pressure( 24-25 in.hg) well above the natural aspirated alt. limit of 7500'msl. Anything above that, you can no longer maintain 75% power. ( standard cruise power setting).With a setup like that, one could easily see 220kts tas or better at 18000'-20000'. I think that would make the Baron about perfect.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

#32? I've never tried to "alter" an aircraft but I know it's done often.
You have nothing to lose.

2 Barons near the bottom.

http://www.fsimzone.com/new/download1-210-titleA-15.html

See if this works.

Turbo Charging the Baron and Cessna 182
To turbocharge your Baron (or any other fs2k2 piston), open the aircraft.cfg using notepad (don't use the aircraft editor. it seems to corrupt the files and make the planes unflyable). Find the following lines and insert the values shown:

turbocharged= 1
max_design_mp= 29
min_design_mp= 1
critical_altitude= 25000

For the Cessna (which matches the actual specs for the T182T) modify to the following values:

turbocharged= 1
max_design_mp= 32
min_design_mp= 1
critical_altitude= 20000

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I tried editing the aircraft config. It worked! Real neat! Oddly enough I lost another 6-8 kts. at 4500' 25 in.hg., BUT---- at 17000' which was unattainable before, I trued at 212 kts. 25 squared----- 25 in.hg. 2500 rpm. I tinkered some more, like 38 in. max instead of 29. I wanted to be able to break 220kts. without going into the flight levels to do it. It is a bit unrealistic though. I can reset the man. pres. limit lower, but can I raise the max HP output? The max is currently 300 HP, it would be much more realistic to have 350 HP engines and run a little lower boost. Most turbo boosted engines of the type used on the baron do produce 350 HP max.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Amazing what can be done with a small program such as that, have you tried e-mailing the designer of that particular aircraft and seeing what help he can be.
He might be interested enough to "goose up" the aircraft also.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Well, I stepped down the boost on the baron to 35 in., and reset the max HP to 350. I don't think the HP change did anything though. The increase would amount to 17 HP at 75% power though. That's about an 8% increase in power 242 versus 225. I would think there would be a noticable difference in cruise speed. Oh well, there is probably some other dynamics that need to be altered along with the HP increase in order for it to work. I'm enjoying it a lot though. At 77% power I can cruise at 220kts true at 16500'. Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...