Runway Indicators on GPS Airport Icons ??

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi,

Quite new to FS2004;

Am I imagining it, or are there really thin, small lines on the Airport Icons within GPS that indicate the angle/degree of the runway(s) ??

I was flying Newcastle - Leeds/Bradford (UK) last night and as I approached Leeds and chose my runway and cleared with ATC, the runway I chose was 32, (so angled at 32 Degrees), and as I approached the Airport, I noticed on GPS there was a little line on GPS within the Leeds Airport Icon.... The line appeared to be at 32 degrees.... and it helped me make my best landing yet !!!

Did I imagine this (was it divine intervention to make sure I landed?), or do these tiny Runway Angle Indicators really exist - I didn't have time to check others and I'm back at work now!

Thanks in advance,

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Firstly, I hope you meant that you were lined up on 320 degrees for rwy 32, not 32 degrees. Secondly, most airport depictions will show a rwy or two, but don't count on them being accurate. A better indication in the GPS is the bearing indication. That is, if the GPS is telling you that the airport is 300 degrees from you, then you need to turn left so that it becomes 320 from you if you intend to land on rwy 32. Piece 'o pie. 😎

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Sure - I meant 320 degree....

Good pointer ArkyDave, appreciate the tip, will try it out tonight!

Thanks again,

DaveR

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

The line angles in the GPS arpt indicators are pretty accurate, especially if you click the range down to 3 miles or less.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...